Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Summer Study Abroad Registration & Related Information

Summer Study Abroad will return in 2022!

All of CCA's Summer Study-Abroad programs were canceled for summer 2020 and 2021 due to the COVID-19 coronavirus.

CCA plans to resume our summer study-abroad programs in Summer 2022. The information below pertains to canceled programs and will be updated in October 2021.


Students must register for study abroad in person at the Student Records Office on either campus and must have been pre-approved by the faculty beforehand.

The first two days of registration are program specific; students may only register for the particular programs listed on that day.

Tuesday, February 18, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., students may register for:

Exhibition Brooklyn
Iceland: Midnight Sun
Mexico: Material Cultures in Mexico

  • Please note that China: Stitchlink 2020 has been cancelled.

Wednesday, February 19, 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m., students may register for:

European Design Capitals
Japan: In Search of Emptiness & Wabi Sabi
New Orleans: Art & Ritual of the Afro-Atlantic
Unknown Forms: Graphic Design in South Korea

After February 19, students may register on a space available basis for any program by going in person to the Student Records Office on either campus.

Tuition must be paid in full or covered by financial aid at the time of registration. If financial aid will not cover the entire tuition amount, students will need to pay the balance, whatever amount is not covered by financial aid. Payment will be made with the Student Accounts Office. (If you are applying for a loan, please read the Financial Aid section below).

Priority Registration: Tuesday, February 18, and Wednesday, February 19
(make sure to note the appropriate registration day for your particular program, see above)
Refund deadline: Friday, March 6 (no refunds after this date)
Withdrawal deadline: Monday, April 27
All students who register for CCA study-abroad courses are required to sign a liability release form at the time of registration.

Because registration is on a first-come, first-served basis, once instructor approval has been obtained, interested students are encouraged to register early to ensure their place in class.

Instructor approval to attend a study abroad course does not constitute registration.

Once eight students are registered in a course, we will be able to give registrants the go-ahead to purchase airline tickets — just one more reason for students to register as soon as possible! Often, the sooner airfare is booked, the less expensive the price.

After registration has begun, students may still register for summer study abroad as long as spaces are still available and accommodations have not yet been finalized.

Eligibility for Non-CCA students

CCA summer study-abroad programs are designed for current CCA students. However, if there are spaces still available after March 2, we welcome strong students from other AICAD schools and other colleges/universities into the program. If interested, please call the Office of Special Programs, 510.594.3710.

Colorful strands of Mardi Gras beads strung on bike handles

Financial Aid

Students who attend CCA-sponsored study-abroad courses, and enroll in the summer semester for a minimum of 6 units that satisfy degree requirements, may be eligible for federal scholarships, grants, and/or loans.

CCA scholarships are not available for study abroad courses. The tuition for these courses has already been discounted and includes housing costs abroad, museum entry fees, etc. Please see individual program descriptions to see what is included in addition to earning 3 credits for a study-abroad course.

With three on-campus 2020 summer sessions (complete list of on-campus classes to be posted the beginning of February), you should be able to find another three-unit course to fulfill the 6-unit financial aid requirement:

Two six-week sessions
May 26-July 3
July 7-August 14

One three-week session
July 27-August 14

Study Abroad Refund deadline: Friday, March 6 (no refunds after this date)

Withdrawal deadline: Monday, April 27

Students enrolling in CCA-sponsored study-abroad courses interested in receiving loans must complete the 2020-21 FAFSA, available October 1. Students in study-abroad courses are only eligible for federal loans, but you must meet the requirement of being enrolled in 6 units for summer.

The sooner you submit all of your required financial aid documents, the sooner you will receive an award notification.

Students should review the Estimated Summer Awards Chart to determine an estimate of how much summer financial aid they will receive.

Only after a student has registered in the minimum required units for summer loan eligibility will financial aid be awarded for summer, fall, and spring semesters.

This process should take no more than two weeks after registration has occurred. To ensure you receive your summer aid award letter in a timely manner:

  • Complete your FAFSA now
  • submit all of your required documents
  • enroll in 6 units as soon as possible (complete list of on-campus classes to be posted the beginning of February)

The sooner you do, the sooner you will receive a finalized award notification.

A $50 nonrefundable registration fee is charged with tuition and associated fees at the time of registration. You must pay the registration fee and any balance due to register.

Enrollment changes may result in adjustments to your summer financial aid. Changes to your summer schedule after your first course has started may be considered a withdrawal and could affect your eligibility.

Students are responsible for all charges that result from a dropped class or withdrawal, this includes the $50 registration fee.

For more information, see Financial Aid Policies or contact the Financial Aid Office prior to making course changes.

San Francisco: 80 Carolina, first floor
Hours: M-F: 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

Oakland: Irwin Student Center
Hours: M, W, TH: 8 a.m.-noon; 1-4:30 p.m.

Phone: 415.703.9528
Fax: 415.551.9261

Mail: Financial Aid Office
California College of the Arts
1111 Eighth Street
San Francisco CA 94107

Vending Machines.jpg

Passport, Visa & Insurance


Students are responsible for acquiring a valid passport and visa where applicable.

Start the Process Immediately

If you do not already have a passport, start the process right away as it can take four to six weeks to obtain a US passport and additional time to obtain visas.

Passport Expiration Dates

If you currently have a passport from any country, make sure it does not expire within six months of your travel dates.

If it does, get it renewed. Many countries will not let you enter if your passport will expire within six months of your travel.

U.S. Citizens

We have found that the following authorized U.S. Government Passport Acceptance facility is much more convenient than going to a post office:

U.S. Passport Center
located in the Recreational Sports Facility at U.C. Berkeley
2301 Bancroft Way
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 642-7796
Open Monday through Friday, 9 am-6 pm; Saturday, 9 am-1 pm
No appointment necessary

They have all the forms you will need, expedited service, and a friendly staff. Please note that they do not take passport photos there. You must bring a photo with you. You do not have to be a U.C. Berkeley student to use this service.

International Students

Information for International Students

Visas for U.S. Citizens & International Students

Check on the visitor visa requirements for the country you will be visiting.

If, according to your citizenship, a visa is required, go directly to the embassy page of that country to see what forms you may need to submit as well as how to make an appointment with the embassy.

Look on the general embassy web pages for Consulates General in order to search for specific embassy information for San Francisco.

Apply for a visa as soon as possible; the process can take much longer than expected.

If you will travel through another country on your way to a final destination, check if you need a transit visa.

Depending on your country of citizenship and the country where you have a stopover, you may be required to obtain a transit visa in order to be allowed to land and continue on your trip.

If unsure, visit the embassy website of the country where you have a stopover. Procedures and required documents for obtaining a visa vary greatly, so it is advised to check before purchasing your plane ticket.

Travel/Health Insurance

CCA provides supplemental travel/health insurance coverage for students registered in a CCA summer study-abroad course traveling outside the United States, for the duration of the course.

The coverage is secondary to any other coverage that a student has in place — whether personal, parental, or CCA's student Aetna PPO plan.

Students should first file a claim through their primary insurance company, then with the travel insurance company.

While abroad, make sure you have your primary as well as your secondary insurance carrier and policy information readily available.

Once registered in a summer study-abroad course, students will be contacted by CCA's supplemental travel insurance carrier to activate their secondary insurance coverage.

If you are not enrolled in CCA’s Aetna PPO plan: Do not assume that your current policy applies outside the United States; check with your insurer.

All students should know what procedures they need to follow in case of a medical emergency while abroad.

If you are enrolled in CCA's Aetna PPO plan: Travel assistance provides support services in case of an emergency while traveling. On Call International provides emergency-only coverage for students who study abroad. This coverage is included for students who have the college's insurance plan with Aetna.

The Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with trained multilingual coordinators and doctors to advise and assist you quickly and professionally in an emergency. On Call International phone numbers: In the U.S. and Canada: Call toll free at 1-866-525-1956. From anywhere in the world: Call collect at 1-603-328-1956.

Membership Program

  • 24/7 worldwide medical information and assistance
  • Unlimited emergency medical evacuation
  • Unlimited medically necessary return home
  • Travel arrangements for a family member or friend if you’re alone and are hospitalized and will remain hospitalized
  • Emergency return home for the death or life-threatening illness of a parent, sibling or spouse Medical monitoring
  • Medical, dental and pharmacy referrals
  • Medicine replacement assistance
  • Pre-trip information

Travel assistance

  • 24/7 emergency travel arrangements
  • Translation assistance
  • Assistance with arranging emergency travel funds
  • Lost travel documents replacement assistance
  • Credit card or traveler’s check replacement assistance
  • Legal consultation and referrals
  • Delayed baggage tracking

Security Assistance

  • Political evacuation
  • Natural disaster evacuation

Code of Conduct

While abroad, each student enrolled in a CCA Summer Study Abroad program is responsible for adhering to the college's regulations, policies, and procedures -- both as published in the Student Handbook and as otherwise announced by the college.

In addition, students should be advised that while abroad they are additionally subject to the laws of the host country.

CCA faculty members are not qualified to offer legal counsel or intercede with local authorities on behalf of a student. Any offense committed while abroad may be reviewed by CCA's judicial system.

While inspirational and life changing, CCA Summer Study Abroad programs are also intensive and challenging.

Students contemplating enrolling should make an honest assessment as to whether they are up for the challenges of a rigorous academic/artistic experience while having to adjust to life in a foreign country -- different language, customs, culture, food, living arrangements, travel, climate, time zone, etc.



The following are answers to commonly asked questions about CCA's Summer Study-Abroad programs.

When is the best time to attend a study abroad course at CCA?

Undergraduates generally have two opportunities: between their sophomore and junior year and between their junior and senior year.

Some students attend a study-abroad program multiple summers. Some students attend two courses in one summer. On occasion, students with just a few credits left to graduate register in a summer study-abroad program.

(Note: Students who are completing their degree requirements in the summer may not be eligible for the full Stafford loan amounts. All summer students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits in order to receive a student loan. )

Graduate students enroll in CCA study-abroad courses during the summer(s) between their program of study.

Why doesn't CCA provide scholarship assistance for summer study-abroad courses?

We essentially do provide scholarship assistance; it is built into the program fee.

With the exception of Exhibition Brooklyn, the study-abroad program fee covers the cost of all your housing while abroad, local transportation while abroad (this varies from program to program but may include bus, van, train, internal flights), and museum entrance fees, as well as the tuition for a three-credit course.

A few programs include some meals. CCA subsidizes the cost of the summer study-abroad programs because we feel strongly that these are important educational experiences and wish to help make it possible for students to attend.

Please note that students who enroll in Exhibition Brooklyn are eligible for CCA scholarships. Students in this course are responsible for all travel-related expenses, such as housing, local transportation, and museum entrance fees. CCA covers the cost of facilities and studio visits with local artists.

Can I take out a loan to pay for all or part of the course?

Yes, many students do. However, most loans will require that you be enrolled in a minimum of six units at CCA for the summer. With three on-campus summer sessions, you should be able to find another three-unit course to fulfill this requirement.

Summer sessions offered: two six-week sessions / May 26–July 2 and July 7–August 14; one three-week session / July 27–August 14.

Please note the FAFSA must be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education as soon as possible, please refer to the Financial Aid summer study-abroad information above.

Is it possible to take a CCA Summer Study-Abroad program and a CCA on-campus course during the summer and earn a total of 6 college credits?

Yes, it is possible to enroll in a CCA summer study-abroad program and an on-campus course as long as the dates of the abroad program and on-campus course do not overlap.

Exhibition Brooklyn
Mexico City
New Orleans

may be paired with on-campus courses in our 6-week session / July 7-August 14 or the 3-week intensive session / July 27-August 14

South Korea

may be paired with on-campus courses in our 6-week session / May 26-July 2 or the 3-week intensive session / July 27-August 14

Is it possible to take two CCA Summer Study-Abroad programs during the summer and earn a total of 6 college credits?

Yes, it is possible to enroll in two summer study-abroad programs as long as the program dates do not overlap and you are approved by both instructors to register for their course.

Exhibition Brooklyn / May 26-June 15
Japan / May 27–June 11 (+ on-campus: 5/20, 7/11, 8/1, & 8/15)
Mexico / May 18-20 on-campus + May 26-June 15
New Orleans / June 15-July 3

South Korea / July 5-23

Are there any CCA online courses I could take in addition to study-abroad to earn a total of 6 college credits?

One online course has been scheduled this summer in the second session: July 7-August 14:

Any study abroad program that ends before July 7 may be taken with an online course.

Why do some summer study-abroad programs cost more than others?

The fee for summer study-abroad and off-campus programs vary a bit, reflecting the fact that some programs have higher costs than others.

How can I gain some familiarity ahead of time with the spoken language of the country I will be visiting?

The CCA Libraries provide free language training (in any of 80 languages!) to students through the online program, Pronunciator. Sign up using your CCA email address. Duolingo is another convenient language-learning tool:

Why isn't the round-trip airline ticket to the program's destination included in the price? Why doesn't everyone fly there and back together?

CCA Summer Study Abroad courses are held at different times during the summer. Many students go home at the end of the spring semester, and it makes sense for them to fly abroad from their "home" city.

Also, many students choose to arrive early or stay later, spending additional time abroad. By not requiring a particular location and flight, students have full flexibility for making arrangements that meet their individual needs.

When can I buy my airline ticket?

As soon as 8 students have registered in a summer study-abroad course, those students are given the go ahead to purchase their airline ticket by CCA's Office of Special Programs.

This is one of the reasons why we encourage students to register as soon as possible once in-person summer study-abroad registration begins on Wednesday, February 19.

Typically, the sooner you purchase your airline ticket, the more affordable the fare.

Can my wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend come along?

No. If you wish to spend time with someone while abroad, you should make arrangements to do so before or after the course.

Does CCA offer the same courses abroad every summer?

Some offerings are repeated from year to year; however, new programs are introduced each summer as well.

Which programs fulfill the UDIST requirement?

The following programs fulfill the three-credit UDIST requirement:

Which programs fulfill a Diversity Studies requirement?

The following programs fulfill the 3-credit Diversity Studies Studio requirement:
Mexico City
New Orleans
South Korea (pending approval)

The following program fulfills the 3-credit Diversity Studies Seminar requirement:
New Orleans

Are there any programs that fulfill Visual Studies requirements?

Unfortunately, the European Design Capitals program, which would have fulfilled a 2000-level Visual Studies requirement, has been cancelled for summer 2020.

sheila-hicks-Escalade Beyond Chromatic LandsVeniceBiennale2018.jpg