Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Summer Study Abroad Registration & Related Information


Students will register for study abroad via Workday in a special study abroad priority registration appointment. All eligible students must be pre-approved by the course faculty before they are granted access to the online priority registration. Instructor approval to attend a study abroad course does not constitute registration.

Online registration is a first-come, first-served basis (check out this step-by-step guide on registering in Workday). Interested students are encouraged to register early to ensure their place in class. All students who register for CCA study-abroad courses are required to sign a liability release form at the time of registration.

Once eight students are registered in a course, we will be able to give registrants the go-ahead to purchase airline tickets at the best price — This is one more reason for students to register as soon as possible!

Students who wish to enroll in additional summer 2023 courses will be able to register for those online or in-person courses at the same time as the study abroad travel programs. The summer 2023 academic course schedule will be published by Friday, February 17.

After registration has begun, students may still register for summer study abroad as long as spaces are still available and accommodations have not yet been finalized.

Students registering after the payment deadline will need to contact Student Accounts and create a payment plan before they can register in Workday for the course. Instructor approval is still required.

Eligibility for Non-CCA students

CCA summer study-abroad programs are designed for current CCA students and open to recent alumni as well as undergraduate or graduate students from other colleges and universities. If there are spaces still available after March 2, we welcome students from other AICAD schools and other colleges/universities into the program. If interested, please email for eligibility requirements.


Priority Registration: Wednesday, February 22 - Wednesday, March 1, 2023

After March 1, students may register on a space available basis for any program after payment is arranged.

Payment deadline: Wednesday, March 1, 2023

After March 1, students are required to pay or arrange payment with financial aid before registration.

Refund deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 (no refunds after this date)

Student Withdrawal deadline: Monday, April 24, 2023


Students registering after the March 1 payment deadline will need to contact Student Accounts and pay or create a payment plan BEFORE they can register in Workday for the course.

Priority payment deadline: Wednesday, March 1, 2023

Refund deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 (no refunds after this date)

Important Payment Information:

  • We are not accepting in person or mailed in payments. Payments can be made online or you may contact the Student Accounts Office.
  • Tuition and fees must be paid in full or be covered by financial aid in full by Wednesday, March 1, 2023. If financial aid will not cover the entire tuition amount, students will need to pay the remaining balance.
  • If you are applying for a loan, please read the Financial Aid section below.
  • A Summer 2023 billing worksheet is required. Please contact the Student Accounts office with any questions.
  • Students who do not meet the March 1 payment deadline may be dropped from their Study Abroad course.


Students who attend CCA-sponsored study abroad courses, and enroll in the summer semester for a minimum of 6 units that satisfy degree requirements, may be eligible for federal scholarships, grants, and/or loans.

CCA scholarships are not available for study abroad courses. The tuition for these courses has already been discounted and includes housing costs, museum entry fees, etc. Please see individual program descriptions to see what is included in addition to earning 3 academic credits.

Online and on-campus summer courses are available on Workday (A complete list of on-campus classes to be posted in February), you should be able to find another three-unit course to fulfill the 6-unit financial aid requirement.

Study Abroad Refund deadline: Wednesday, March 15, 2023 (no refunds after this date)

Student Withdrawal deadline: Monday, April 24

Students enrolling in CCA-sponsored study abroad courses interested in receiving loans must complete the 2023-24 FAFSA, available October 1st. Students in study abroad courses are only eligible for federal loans, but you must meet the requirement of being enrolled in 6 units for summer 2023.

The sooner you submit all of your required financial aid documents, the sooner you will receive an award notification.

Students should review the Estimated Summer Awards Chart to determine an estimate of how much summer financial aid they will receive.

Only after a student has registered in the minimum required units for summer loan eligibility will financial aid be awarded for summer, fall, and spring semesters.

This process should take no more than two weeks after registration has occurred. To ensure you receive your summer aid award letter in a timely manner:

  • Complete your FAFSA now
  • submit all of your required documents
  • enroll in 6 units as soon as possible (complete list of on-campus classes to be posted in February)

The sooner you do, the sooner you will receive a finalized award notification.

A $50 non-refundable registration fee is charged with tuition and associated fees at the time of registration.

Enrollment changes may result in adjustments to your summer financial aid. Changes to your summer schedule after your first course has started may be considered a withdrawal and could affect your eligibility.

Students are responsible for all charges that result from a dropped class or withdrawal, this includes the $50 registration fee.

For more information, see Financial Aid Policies or contact the Financial Aid Office prior to making course changes.

Vending Machines.jpg



Students are responsible for acquiring a valid passport and visa where applicable.

Start the Process Immediately

If you do not already have a passport, start the process right away as it can take four to six weeks to obtain a US passport and additional time to obtain visas.

Passport Expiration Dates

If you currently have a passport from any country, make sure it does not expire within six months of your travel dates.

If it does, get it renewed. Many countries will not let you enter if your passport will expire within six months of your travel.

U.S. Citizens

There are several way for US citizens to obtain their passport:.

International Students

Information for International Students

Visas for U.S. Citizens & International Students

Check on the visitor visa requirements for the country you will be visiting.

If, according to your citizenship, a visa is required, go directly to the embassy page of that country to see what forms you may need to submit as well as how to make an appointment with the embassy.

Look on the general embassy web pages for Consulates General in order to search for specific embassy information for San Francisco.

Apply for a visa as soon as possible; the process can take much longer than expected.

The International Students and Programs office can support your application by providing a letter for your visa application. After registration and payment, please email isap@cca.eduto request a letter in advance of your visa application.

If you will travel through another country on your way to a final destination, check if you need a transit visa.

Depending on your country of citizenship and the country where you have a stopover, you may be required to obtain a transit visa in order to be allowed to land and continue on your trip.

If unsure, visit the embassy website of the country where you have a stopover. Procedures and required documents for obtaining a visa vary greatly, so it is advised to check before purchasing your plane ticket.

Travel/Health Insurance

CCA provides supplemental travel/health insurance coverage for students registered in a CCA summer study-abroad course traveling outside the United States, for the duration of the course.

The coverage is secondary to any other coverage that a student has in place — whether personal, parental, or CCA's Student Insurance Plan.

Students should first file a claim through their primary insurance company, then with the travel insurance company.

While abroad, make sure you have your primary as well as your secondary insurance carrier and policy information readily available.

Once registered in a summer study-abroad course, students will be contacted by CCA's supplemental travel insurance carrier to activate their secondary insurance coverage.

If you are not enrolled in CCA's Student Insurance Plan: Do not assume that your current policy applies outside the United States; check with your insurer.

All students should know what procedures they need to follow in case of a medical emergency while abroad.

If you are enrolled in CCA's Student Insurance Plan: Travel assistance provides support services in case of an emergency while traveling. On Call International provides emergency-only coverage for students who study abroad. This coverage is included for students who have the college's insurance plan.

The Center is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with trained multilingual coordinators and doctors to advise and assist you quickly and professionally in an emergency. On Call International phone numbers: In the U.S. and Canada: Call toll free at 1-866-525-1956. From anywhere in the world: Call collect at 1-603-328-1956.

Membership Program

  • 24/7 worldwide medical information and assistance
  • Unlimited emergency medical evacuation
  • Unlimited medically necessary return home
  • Travel arrangements for a family member or friend if you’re alone and are hospitalized and will remain hospitalized
  • Emergency return home for the death or life-threatening illness of a parent, sibling or spouse Medical monitoring
  • Medical, dental and pharmacy referrals
  • Medicine replacement assistance
  • Pre-trip information

Travel assistance

  • 24/7 emergency travel arrangements
  • Translation assistance
  • Assistance with arranging emergency travel funds
  • Lost travel documents replacement assistance
  • Credit card or traveler’s check replacement assistance
  • Legal consultation and referrals
  • Delayed baggage tracking

Security Assistance

  • Political evacuation
  • Natural disaster evacuation


While abroad, each student enrolled in a CCA Summer Study Abroad program is responsible for adhering to the college's regulations, policies, and procedures -- both as published in the Student Handbook and as otherwise announced by the college.

In addition, students should be advised that while abroad they are additionally subject to the laws of the host country.

CCA faculty members are not qualified to offer legal counsel or intercede with local authorities on behalf of a student. Any offense committed while abroad may be reviewed by CCA's judicial system.

While inspirational and life changing, CCA Summer Study Abroad programs are also intensive and challenging.

Students contemplating enrolling should make an honest assessment as to whether they are up for the challenges of a rigorous academic/artistic experience while having to adjust to life in a foreign country -- different language, customs, culture, food, living arrangements, travel, climate, time zone, etc.



The following are answers to commonly asked questions about CCA's Summer Study-Abroad programs.

When is the best time to attend a study abroad course at CCA?

Undergraduates generally have two opportunities: between their sophomore and junior year and between their junior and senior year.

Some students attend a study-abroad program multiple summers. Some students attend two courses in one summer. On occasion, students with just a few credits left to graduate register in a summer study-abroad program to complete their degree in summer.

(Note: Students who are completing their degree requirements in the summer may not be eligible for the full Stafford loan amounts. All summer students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits in order to receive a student loan. )

Graduate students enroll in CCA study-abroad courses during the summer(s) between their program of study.

Why doesn't CCA provide scholarship assistance for summer study-abroad courses?

We essentially do provide scholarship assistance; it is built into the program tuition.

The study-abroad program tuition covers the cost of all your housing while abroad, local transportation while abroad (this varies from program to program but may include bus, van, train, internal flights), and museum entrance fees, as well as the tuition for a three-credit course.

A few programs include some meals. CCA subsidizes the cost of the summer study-abroad programs because we feel strongly that these are important educational experiences and wish to help make it possible for students to attend.

Can I take out a loan to pay for all or part of the course?

Yes, many students do. However, most loans will require that you be enrolled in a minimum of six units at CCA for the summer.

Please note the FAFSA must be submitted to the U.S. Department of Education as soon as possible, please refer to the Financial Aid summer study abroad information above.

Is it possible to take a CCA Summer Study-Abroad program and a CCA on-campus course during the summer and earn a total of 6 college credits?

Yes, it is possible to enroll in a CCA summer study-abroad program and an on-campus course as long as the dates of the abroad program and on-campus course do not overlap.

Is it possible to take two CCA Summer Study-Abroad programs during the summer and earn a total of 6 college credits?

Yes, it is possible to enroll in two summer study-abroad programs as long as the program dates do not overlap and you are approved by both instructors to register for their course.

Are there any CCA online courses I could take in addition to study-abroad to earn a total of 6 college credits?

Yes. Online courses for summer will be posted in February.

Can I register for a study abroad course and an online course that has a time conflict?

Yes, while it is possible to register for study abroad and an online course that has a time conflict, it is subject to review by both faculty. It is the student's responsibility to inform the instructor of the non-study abroad class of this conflict and receive approval from both faculty. We do not encourage this for online classes that have synchronous meeting times as the time difference may prevent students in travel programs from participating in online classes.

Why do some summer study-abroad programs cost more than others?

The tuition for summer study-abroad and off-campus programs vary a bit, reflecting the fact that some programs have higher costs for accommodations and travel than others.

How can I gain some familiarity ahead of time with the spoken language of the country I will be visiting?

The CCA Libraries provide free language training (in any of 80 languages!) to students through the online program, Pronunciator. Sign up using your CCA email address. Duolingo is another convenient language-learning tool:

Why isn't the round-trip airline ticket to the program's destination included in the price? Why doesn't everyone fly there and back together?

CCA Summer Study Abroad courses are held at different times during the summer. Many students go home at the end of the spring semester, and it makes sense for them to fly abroad from their "home" city.

Also, many students choose to arrive early or stay later, spending additional time abroad. We do not require a shared departure location or flight. Students have full flexibility to make arrangements that meet their individual needs and preferences.

When can I buy my airline ticket?

As soon as 8 students have registered in a summer study-abroad course, those students are given the go ahead to purchase their airline ticket by CCA's office of Study Abroad Travel Programs.

This is one of the reasons why we encourage students to register as soon as possible once online summer study-abroad registration begins.

Typically, the sooner you purchase your airline ticket, the more affordable the fare.

Can my wife/husband or girlfriend/boyfriend come along?

No. If you wish to spend time with someone while abroad, you should make arrangements to do so before or after the course dates.

Does CCA offer the same courses abroad every summer?

New programs are introduced each summer. Some offerings are repeated from year to year.

Which programs fulfill the UDIST requirement?






Which programs fulfill a Critical Ethnic Studies requirement?




Are there any programs that fulfill History of Art and Visual Culture requirements?

European Design Capitals

sheila-hicks-Escalade Beyond Chromatic LandsVeniceBiennale2018.jpg