Need Help?

CCA Logo

Counseling FAQ Banner

Counseling Questions Answered!

For urgent, non-emergency mental health issues requiring immediate attention, please call CCA's 24/7 mental health crisis hotline number: 510.594.5099.

How many sessions can a student have?

CCA can provide 10 sessions of free psychological counseling per year to each student.

Counseling Services offers brief individual therapy, crisis intervention, assessments, and referrals to community resources.

In addition to personal counseling, we provide presentations and workshops on topics related to student life and the experience of being a creative person.

Who are the counselors?

Our Counseling Department is staffed by Professional Mental Health Practitioners. We are clinicians with extensive counseling experience who offer a wide array of knowledge and skills to meet student needs. As a team, we are dedicated to supporting the personal development and professional advancement of students engaged in an arts-based education. We are familiar with the issues creative people face in an academic environment.

What kinds of counseling are available?

Brief individual therapy: support for ongoing personal struggles and psychological conditions

Crisis intervention: immediate help during or after an event that has caused emotional, mental, physical, or behavioral distress, or any combination thereof.

Assessments: Help identifying a specific psychological condition (e.g., depression, ADHD, anxiety)

What if I need more than 10 sessions or something that isn’t offered?

Counseling services can also provide referrals to professionals in the community (e.g., psychiatrists, learning specialists, LGBT centers). We recommend starting with CCA counseling, and after 10 sessions, transition to another counselor in the community.

I have unique needs that aren’t listed here. Can they be accommodated?

Please let Student Affairs or Counseling Services know. They’ll do their best to help.

What are the options for staff and faculty?
Confidential consultations also are available for faculty and staff regarding student support. Contact the CCA Counseling Voicemail at 510.594.3670.