Live On Residency Policy
With campus access and hybrid instruction being limited in Spring 21 (per San Francisco’s current health orders) the live-on residency requirement has been temporarily suspended. All incoming first year and transfer students, and second year students who plan to have any presence on campus in Fall 2021, will be required to live on campus starting Fall 2021 per the policy below.
CCA is committed to supporting the success of our students. Research consistently demonstrates that students who live on campus have higher rates of retention and graduation than students who live off campus.
Summer & Fall Incoming
Full-time freshman students admitted to the summer or fall semesters are required to live on-campus for their first and second academic years. Transfer students admitted to the summer or fall semesters are required to live on-campus during their first academic year if they are under the age of 23 or completed less than 60 hours of college credit when they start the semester.
Full-time freshman students admitted to the spring are required to live on-campus for their first semester and second academic year. Transfer students admitted to the spring semesters are required to live on-campus during their first semester, if they are under the age of 23 or completed less than 60 hours of college credit when they start the semester.
Exception applications may be requested and each request is reviewed on an individual basis. All exemption applications will require additional verification documentation.
Exemptions may be granted for:
- Medical Hardship: Student has a medical or accessibility need that cannot be accommodated by CCA. A review and confirmation by the CCA Office of Access and Disability Services is required.
- Financial Hardship: Student has financial circumstances that sufficiently demonstrate the requirement to live on campus would create an undue financial hardship preventing the student from attending the College. A review and confirmation by the CCA Office of Student Financial Assistance is required.
- Commuter: Student resides with parent(s) or court-appointed guardian(s) within a 40-mile radius of California College of the Arts Main Campus of 1111 8th St, San Francisco. Students can provide utility bill, lease, or mortgage (block out sensitive/confidential information); and confirmation that it's parent or guardian with a birth certificate or court-appointment document.
- Married, Parenting, or Caregiving Student: Student can provide documentation (marriage license, birth certificate, or paperwork demonstrating relationship between dependent adults), to confirm status.
- Veteran: Student is a confirmed veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who has submitted a DD214 form to CCA Office of the Student Records.
Requests are not final until they are reviewed and a determination (approved or denied) is made by the college. It is strongly encouraged that you register for housing while you are in the process of requesting an exemption. In the event your exemption request is approved, your refundable damage deposit will be returned.
Students that do not fulfill their obligation to the required live-on residency requirement without an approved exemption by June 15 (for Fall start), and by December 1 (for Spring start) will be billed accordingly for the cost of housing at the current rate for a double studio in Founders Hall, as well as for any associated required meal plan.
Note the exemption request process for 2021-2022 Academic Year will be live in Workday on February 1.
Exemption Process: Step by Step
Step 1: Login to Workday using your CCA username and password
Step 2: Type in and select "create request" in the search field
Step 3: Type in "housing" in the request type field
Step 4: Select "Housing Live-On Residency Policy Exemption"
Step 5: Follow the remaining prompts to complete and submit your request.