International Education Week 2019
International Education Week
International Education Week (IEW), November 18 - 22, 2019 is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of our efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences.
Here at CCA, we will be putting on events centered on different themes throughout the week. Below you can see a full list of events!
Monday 11/18: Mistranslation
Food, Mistranslated: 11:00am - 12:00pm, Nave Front Desk Hosted by ISAP
- Join the ISAP Ambassadors for Chai Tea (or... Tea Tea) and learn about the ways that the food we all love and enjoy can be oddly translated.
Say My Name: 3:00pm - 4:00pm, Nave Front Desk, Hosted by ISAP
- What's in a name? What's in your name? Tell the CCA community the story behind your name, names, names you've left behind and names that you've made for yourself.
Found in Translation: 11:00am - 12:00pm and 3:00pm - 4:00pm,
Oakland A2 Patio (Hosted by the the Learning Resource Center)
Tuesday 11/19: Work
Working After F-1 Status: 11:00am - 12:00pm, Nave Presentation Space (Hosted by ISAP)
- ISAP is hosting a session with local attorney Melissa Harms, where she will discuss general information about different types of work visas and the options for staying in the US after OPT. Ms. Harms is an immigration attorney at Harms Law. Please visit the Harms Law website for more information about her background and areas of expertise.
Working Off Campus as an International Student: 3:00pm - 4:00pm, Nave Presentation Space (Hosted by ISAP)
- Join Emily Maloney - Assistant Director of International Student Affairs and Programs, to learn about the different work opportunities available to international students off campus during F-1 status. Topics to be covered include CPT, OPT and STEM OPT.
International Student Alumni Panel: 7:30 - 9:00pm, Nave Presentation Pace (Hosted by Career Development Office and ISAP)
- What is it like working as an international student after graduation? What is it like to navigate your status, new work environments, and even the job search itself? Join us as international alumni talk about their experience navigating work, sponsorship discussions, and more. Register for this event through Handshake.
Career Development / Work Authorization Table:
3:00pm - 4:00pm, Oakland A2 Patio (Hosted by ISAP and Career Development)
Wednesday 11/20: Sustainability
Get your plates! 11:00am - 12:00pm, Nave Front Desk (Hosted by ISAP and the Office of Student Life)
- We hope you enjoy the holiday lunch! Did you forget your plate? Don't worry, we've got you. Grab some compostable plates and utensils and show us how much you know about sustainability practices at CCA and worldwide.
Get your plants! 3:00pm - 4:00pm, Nave Front Desk (Hosted by ISAP)
- Join our ISAP Ambassadors and make your own potted plants! :)
Thursday, 11/21: Play
Language Games: 11:00am - 12:00pm, Nave Front Desk (Hosted by ISAP)
Guess the Idiom: 3:00pm - 4:00pm, Nave Front Desk (Hosted by ISAP )
Global Game Night: 7:00 - 9:00pm, Clifton Hall (Hosted by Housing and Residential Life and ISAP)
Friday 11/22: Celebration
Mix of the Mixes: 11:00am - 12:00pm, Nave Front Desk (Hosted by ISAP)
- Join ISAP Ambassador Jamie Tsai, and make a postcard for her project The Mix of the Mixes. THE MIX OF THE MIXES is a series of projects that explore the mixed identities we have as a human. We have a mixture of different cultures, backgrounds, lifestyles, etc. As the world gets more globalized we have more identities.