Student Technology Requirements
Welcome to CCA!
CCA requires that all students own an external storage device and laptop that meets our minimum system requirements. This requirement will help ensure that all students have access to the college’s digital resources at home or on campus.
- Undergraduate students are required to own a laptop that meets the minimum system requirements for software used in the First-Year curriculum. If a student has an intended major, they should refer to the Program Technology Requirements page for specific requirements. If your major is not listed the minimum system requirements will be appropriate.
- Graduate students should refer to the Program Technology Requirements page for specific laptop requirements, if your program is not listed the minimum system requirements will be appropriate.
If you have technology questions or need help deciding what technology to purchase, please contact the Help Desk.
CCA's Minimum System Requirement for Fall 2021*
- Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro M1 chip with 8-core CPU
8-core GPU, and 16-core Neural Engine
16GB Unified Memory
516 GB SSD storage
2 Thunderbolt / USB 4 ports
AppleCare+ for Mac
Purchase here: CCA / Apple Online Store Bundles (see Recommended System No. 1)
*Undergraduate students who know their intended major should purchase the laptop recommended here
*Graduate students should purchase the laptop recommended for their program here. If your program is not listed the minimum system requirement will be appropriate.
External Drive Requirement
All CCA students are required to own an external storage device for saving coursework and backups of digital work. When working with high-resolution image files, motion graphics, and video files, a great deal of data storage space is needed.
- External storage device:
Connects via USB
1 TB (Terabyte) minimum storage space
- Recommended external storage devices:
LaCie Mobile SSD High-Performance External Drive, purchase at CCA/Apple online store.
CCA / Apple Education online store
We have partnered with Apple to offer laptops and peripherals that meet our technology requirements for all academic programs. Save on any Mac computer, iPad, Apple software, and select accessories by purchasing online through the CCA / Apple online store.
- CCA faculty, staff, and students are eligible for educational pricing plus discounts on AppleCare and some MacBook Pro models.
- To use the discount in person, visit an Apple Store with your current CCA ID.
What if my laptop doesn't meet the minimum requirement?
If you do not have a laptop that meets the requirements and are unable to purchase one, please complete the Student Technology Requirement Checkup form here.
- The above link will take you to the task in Workday, select Student Technology Requirements Checkup from the request prompt.
- After the form is complete we will follow up shortly to find the right support options for you.
If you would like to request financial aid to purchase a laptop:
The required costs of the Student Technology Program for incoming students are considered necessary educational expenses and as such may be eligible for various forms of financial aid. Students wishing to inquire about aid/loans to help cover the costs of their CCA Student Technology Requirement expenses are advised to complete a financial aid cost of attendance petition on the Financial Aid Forms page at https://portal.cca.edu/essentials/financial-aid/forms/.