Diversity, Inclusion, & Community Engagement
The Assistant Dean of Students for Diversity, Inclusion, & Community Engagement serves as an advocate for students. As a result of concerns presented by CCA’s students, this role was created to enrich the college community by assisting the college in the creation of inclusive policies, processes, and programmatic initiatives. The Assistant Dean is strategically situated within the Division of Student Affairs in the Dean of Students Office to build partnerships with departments that work directly with students like Academic Advising, Access & Disability Services, Career Development, Counseling Services, Housing, Dining, & Residential Education, International Student Affairs & Programming, Learning Resources, and Student Life.
For continuity with the entire college community, beyond Student Affairs, the Assistant Dean sits on the President’s Diversity Steering Group, Diversity & Inclusion Task Force & Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Strategic Planning Committee, with constituents from all areas of the college. The Assistant Dean supports the work of the Diversity & Inclusion Taskforce as a means of creating and implementing college-wide efforts, like training and workshops, for faculty, staff, and students to enhance their knowledge in areas of interpersonal and intercultural awareness. Below are some initiatives that have come out of collaborative efforts with the Office of the Dean of Students and the Assistant Dean of Students for Diversity, Inclusion, & Community Engagement:
- CCA’s Artist’s Network Valuing Aspiring Scholars (CANVAS)
- Diversity Scholarship Recipient Reception
- Diversity Mural Project in collaboration with Student Life and Diversity Studies
- Multicultural & Lavender Commencement Ceremonies in collaboration with the Staff of Color Alliance, Alumni Association and the Office of Student Life
- Launch of DiversityEdu course for new students, staff & faculty