Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

On Campus Employment

Last updated on Sep 20, 2023

F-1 students are eligible to work on campus as a benefit of their F-1 status.

No waiting period is required for students to be eligible to work on campus. Upon initial entry to the United States to begin a program of study, F-1 students are eligible to work on campus up to 30 days before the actual start date of classes.

What Is Campus Employment?

Campus employment means CCA is your employer (i.e., the college pays you) such as Media Center and library positions, or working as a resident advisor or Chimera leader. It also includes commercial firms who operate on campus, CCA contractors, and those who provide services directly to students (e.g., Makers Café).

If you are unsure whether something qualifies as campus employment, consult an ISS advisor before accepting a job offer.

When does eligibility end?

  • When you graduate, eligibility expires the last day of classes of your last semester at CCA
  • If you transfer to another university, eligibility expires on the day your SEVIS record is transferred to your new school
  • If you violate your F-1 status


  • You must be enrolled full time which means 12 units per semester for undergraduates. Graduate students must meet the full-time requirement for their program. (See ISS for exceptions when you have been approved for a reduced course load for final semester.) Please note that to be eligible for work-study, you must be enrolled in at least 6 units.
  • You cannot work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During breaks (winter, spring, and summer breaks) you may work up to 37.5 hours per week. This is not only an immigration regulation, but also a college policy that applies to all students (domestic and international).

Federal Vs. Institutional Work-Study

As an international student, you are ineligible to receive Federal Work-Study funds, but you are eligible for jobs that are paid with Institutional Work-Study funds.

The type of funding may not be indicated on the job posting, so contact the supervisor to inquire whether Institutional Work-Study funds are an option.

Once you’ve been hired

If you've been offered a job, your supervisor will ask you to complete additional paperwork related to your hire. Have available your original documents (passport with F-1 visa, I-20, and a printout of your electronic I-94 record) in addition to your social security number.


Related Pages