Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Exchange Visitors (J-1 Students)

Last updated on Jul 21, 2023

We have changed our name. Effective immediately, International Student Affairs and Programs (ISAP) is now the International Student Services (ISS) office. Questions? Email us at

Who are J-1 Students?

The J visa is an exchange visitor visa for educational purposes. To learn more, visit the U.S. Department of State Exchange Visitor Program website. While most students come to CCA on the F-1 student visa, some students may be required to obtain the J-1 visa due to the nature of their funding source for their studies or because they are coming to CCA as a non-degree student for an exchange semester.

Basic Regulations of the J-1 Exchange Visitor Visa

  • Maintain a valid passport at all times.
  • Maintain a full-time course of study each academic semester.
  • Obtain authorization from ISS before starting any employment during the course of study (see Academic Training information below)
  • Meet with ISS to obtain the appropriate travel authorization needed to reenter the United States after travel abroad. ISS can provide the required endorsement on the DS-2019 prior to departure.
  • Report any change of local address in the US within 10 days of moving.
  • Maintain the required level of medical insurance in the US according to Department of State regulations

Medical Insurance Requirement

Every exchange visitor (both J-1 and J-2) is required to obtain health insurance which meets the minimum requirements specified in Department of State regulations (22 C.F.R. § 62.14). This insurance must be maintained throughout the entire program participation period.

Length of Stay Requirement

USCIS regulations state that J-1 non-immigrants must leave the United States within 30 days of completing the final semester of classes at CCA or completing post completion Academic Training (AT)

Failure to Maintain Status

Violating J-1 status by not following the guidelines listed above and listed on page 2 of your DS-2019 form could have very serious consequences.

Employment Opportunities

On campus Employment:

  • J-1 students are eligible to work on campus through the CCA Workstudy program. All on campus employment must be reported to ISS within 10 days of starting employment in order update your immigration record.

Off Campus Employment / Academic Training:

  • Academic Training is a type of off campus work authorization directly related to a student's field of study available to J-1 students during and/or after the final semester at CCA. Academic Training must be approved by ISS before starting any employment.