Types of Emergency Responses
Shelter in Place
A protective measure to protect occupants from external hazards. The intent is to minimize injury and provide time to coordinate a safe evacuation.
- Stay indoors.
- Close windows, doors, ventilation (if accessible).
- Remain calm, await instructions (lock down or evacuation order).
Similar to Shelter in Place:
- Lock doors and windows.
- Fortify and/or barricade glass doors & windows.
- Hide from plain sight behind large items (if possible).
- Turn off lighting, electronics, silence cell phones and other sources of noise.
- Remain calm and quiet.
- Call 911 from a landline (leave line open).
In the event of an emergency/natural disaster, CCA has a two-level evacuation system
Building(s) Evacuation: Level 1
- Consists of a limited evacuation for specific building or group of buildings.
- Direct evacuees to the Coordination Location (usually main entrance of building).
- Move evacuees to respective Assembly Area.
- Once at the assembly area, begin roll call and await further instructions.
- The order to evacuate (if not activated by alarm) can be given by any BERT member.
Total Campus Evacuation/Closure: Level 2
- Consists of a total campus evacuation and/or closure.
- Occurs when multiple buildings have been affected by the emergency/disaster.
- Will involve safely and strategically evacuating the entire campus.
- Evacuation/closure is authorized by the College President or a designee.