2D: Painting Studios
Building an energized painting community
As of Monday 3/20/2020, CCA Campuses will be accessible ONLY TO RETRIEVE PERSONAL AND WORK ITEMS.
Students, Faculty, and Staff may access the campuses during the following times:
SF Campus: Tuesday and Thursdays 11a-1p
Oakland Campus: Monday and Wednesdays 11a-1p
When you arrive at campus contact Public Safety:
SF patrol: 415-726-2061, Oakland patrol: 510-385-1821
Public Safety will meet you, check your ID, have you sign in, provide necessary access, and wait until you leave to secure the building.
For the safety and security of all, PLEASE BRING YOUR CCA ID TO SHOW THE PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER!
CCA Shops and Studios remain closed and inaccessible for project work until further notice.
Please contact the Studio Manager with any concerns.
- The California Department of Public Health has extended the statewide stay at home order through May 3. Do not leave home except for essential activities.
- CCA has developed a Portal Page link concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Updates available here.
- CCA has suspended in-person instruction for the remainder of the spring semester. All classes will be taught remotely beginning Monday, March 30, following spring break.
Workplace Guidelines for CCA employees are available here.
About the 2D: Painting Studios
N Painting Studios
The San Francisco Painting Studios are large, open, sunlit classrooms situated next to expansive north-facing windows that run the length of the Montgomery building (the main building on the campus).
Within these open spaces Painting/Drawing students are encouraged to build an energized painting community, hosting such events as the student-led Painting Club and Graduate Drawing Group, Figure Drawing Nights, and the small-talk lecture series Notes from the Studio that features casual artist talks by the Painting faculty.
The Senior Painting Studios
Senior Studios are available to students around-the-clock seven days a week during the academic year. This space functions as a working studio for students to create their individualized work in their chosen media as well as providing the Senior painting students the opportunity for social environment with fellow classmates to communicate and form collaborations. Students are assigned their own studio area within the shared space studio for their individual. The Students sign a studio contract and can use the same studio for two semesters of their Senior year.
Specializing in These Materials
Tools and Equipment
- Abundant natural light from floor to ceiling via north-facing windows in San Francisco
- Air-filtration system
- Halogen lights
- Large basin sinks
- Rolling painting walls
- Large tables and palette tables
- Large painting racks for storage
- San Francisco studios feature a full digital set-up for lectures and presentations