Rapid Prototyping: Laser Cutter
Laser Cutting and Engraving
********SUMMER BREAK HOURS**********
During the summer, all shop users must email studio staff in advance to schedule their shop use.
Current Students, Faculty, and Staff may reserve and use the Laser Cutters after completing a laser Cutter orientation.
Current status of individual Universal Laser machines:
Laser 1 is fully operational
Laser 2 is fully operational
Laser 3 is offline
Laser 4 is fully operational
Laser 5 is fully operational
Due to academic program needs and the large volume of students that this space supports, the Laser Cutters are not available to for alumni access.
Covid Informational Links:
About the Rapid Prototyping: Laser Cutter
With the CCA Laser Cutters, you are able to etch and cut through a wide variety of material such as wood, plastic, and fabric. The Laser Cutters/Engravers are primarily 2 Dimensional cutting/etching tools, but can be used to make 3 Dimensional projects.
Specializing in These Materials
Tools and Equipment
- Laser Cutter 1, Universal, Bed Size: 18"x 24". This machine is a 60 watt laser and can cut through .25" of material
- Laser Cutter 2, Universal, Bed Size: 18"x 32". This machine is a 75 watt laser and can cut through .25" of material.
- Laser Cutter 3, Universal, Bed Size: 18"x 32". This machine is a 75 watt laser and can cut through .25" of material.
- Laser Cutter 4, Universal, Bed Size: 24"x 48". This machine is a 100 watt laser and can cut through .25" of material
- Laser Cutter 5, Lasercam, Bed Size: 24" x 48" This machine is a 1500 watt laser and can cut through .5" of material. This machine can only complete vector based operations (no Raster)
Users must attend an orientation to be allowed access to any of the equipment in the Rapid Prototyping Studio including the Laser Cutters. A full list of currently scheduled orientations will be listed on the calendar posted to this page. Orientations will not be scheduled during the final 4 weeks of the semester to accommodate student use of the equipment. There are 2 types of orientations:
Open Orientations: Any user (student, staff, and faculty) may attend an "open" orientation, which are scheduled frequently throughout the semester. Sign ups for Rapid Prototyping Studio orientations are NOT required. To attend, please be on time and sign in on the attendance sheet; users who are more than 5 minutes late will not be allowed to attend.
Class Orientations: A class orientation is a private or closed orientation organized by a faculty member for their students in a specific class. The RPStudio requires a minimum of 1 weeks notice to attempt to schedule your classes orientation. Faculty may request to schedule a "class" orientation by submitting this Rapid Prototyping Studio Orientation Request Form