>> Chimeras Go Outside!
Posted April 21, 2021, 8:58 AM by George Luis Sedano Updated April 21, 2021, 9:18 AM
Small Outdoor Adventures in San Francisco
Nearby - short walks from the SF Campus:
- Jackson Playground* 1501 17th St. .2mi
* A CCA favorite for playing sports or lounging in the sun!
This spot is also popular with the neighborhood for team sports.
- Koret Quad UCSF Campus .5mi
- Utah & 18th Mini Park 531 Utah St .5mi
- Franklin Square 2203-2273 16th St .5mi
- Mission Creek Park 4th & Channel St. .6mi
- McKinley Square 20th & Vermont St. .6mi
- Esprit Park 888 Minnesota St .6mi
- Mission Bay Commons 2-134 Bridgeview Way .7mi
- Potrero Hill Rec. Center 99 Connecticut St. .7mi
- Agua Vista Park 801 Terry A Francois Blvd .7mi
- Bessie Carmichael Park 2121 Columbia St .8mi
- China Basin Park 490 Terry A Francois Blvd .9mi
- Mission Community Rec. Center 834 Alabama St .9mi
- South Park 108 S Park St 1.1mi
- Jose Coronado Playground 2448 Folsom St 1.1mi
POPOS!: Privately-owned public open spaces (POPOS) are publicly accessible spaces in forms of plazas, terraces, atriums, small parks, and even snippets which are provided and maintained by private developers. Good for people watching or just getting off campus, San Francisco has over 70 of these hidden gems, many that provide great views of the city!
Here are just a few to get you started:
- SKY TERRACE 825 Market Street
This extensive 9th floor rooftop space looks onto the dome of the Westfield mall and has views westward and sunlight. It does not have direct food service, but food may be found in the food court below in the mall.
- MILLENIUM TOWER ATRIUM 301 Mission Street
This atrium features extensive artwork and is served by a bar/restaurant on the premises. It has various types of seating with tables, and high windows overhead.
- 343 SANSOME ROOF GARDEN 343 Sansome Street
The terrace is one of the FiDi's best-kept secrets, and it's also been called downtown's best outdoor lunch spot. It features tables, benches, planters filled with seasonal flowers, and views of a portion of the bay. Plenty of the space's Yelp reviews mention that it's never crowded. The space is open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- MARATHON PLAZA 303 2nd St.
This large urban park takes up a triangular space facing Second Street and is framed by the building wings. A large water feature with gushing water connects to a large concrete fountain deep inside the building recess. Ample seating is provided on concrete benches, ledges, walls and stepped pyramids. The park is lushly planted with flowers and trees. A deli and a restaurant with their own outdoor seating open up to the park.