Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Individual Taxpayer Identification Number

Last updated on Aug 14, 2018

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax-processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Students who receive a fellowship, scholarship, or stipend funding during the tax year, but who are not eligible for a social security number (SSN), will need to apply for an ITIN. Anyone who has a US tax-filing or reporting requirement, but who is not eligible for a social security number (SSN) may alternatively apply for an ITIN, regardless of immigration status.

When should I apply for an ITIN?

As soon as possible! Once you receive an offer of a stipend or a monetary prize award, you should submit your ITIN application. Requesting an ITIN can be a lengthy process, so do not delay your application.

How do I apply?

The ISAP Office will assist you with your ITIN application. Review the ITIN application process for detailed information.

How do I maintain my ITIN?

Check the IRS Fact Sheet to see if your ITIN will expire. If it will expire at the end of 2018, we urge you to renew it now. This will help avoid delays.