Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

What is an ITIN?

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a tax-processing number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Students who receive a fellowship, scholarship, or stipend funding during the tax year, but who are not eligible for a social security number (SSN), will need to apply for an ITIN. Anyone who has a US tax-filing or reporting requirement, but who is not eligible for a social security number (SSN) may alternatively apply for an ITIN, regardless of immigration status.

When should I apply for an ITIN?

As soon as possible! Once you receive an offer of a stipend or a monetary prize award, you should submit your ITIN application. Requesting an ITIN can be a lengthy process, so do not delay your application.

How do I apply?

Please review the ITIN page for F-1 students provided by Homeland Security.