Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Transgender Student Resources

Last updated on Mar 28, 2024

In California, you have the legal right to change your name by using a new name in all aspects of your life (a.k.a., the "usage method"). However, government agencies typically require a court order as official proof of a name change.

For general assistance in correcting your chosen name, prior to legal action please contact ETS Helpdesk to edit your digital record in moodle, libraries, gmail and others student resources. In addition, students can update their personal information--including legal/preferred name and gender/gender identity in Workday on their own.

You DO NOT need a court order to . . .

  • change your gender on your California driver's license, social security card or US passport
  • have a new birth certificate issued that reflects a change of gender (for California birth records). If born outside of California, you may wish to acquire a court order gender change to amend your birth certificate.

Visit Gender Change for additional resources, such as ID Please - A guide to Changing California and Federal Identity Documents to Match Your Gender Identity.

You DO need a court order to . . .

  • legally change your name. (Note: If you need to change your name and gender, follow these instructions or, alternatively, change your gender with the State Registrar -- without a court order -- and separately get a name-change-only court order.)

How to Legally Change Your Name

  • First, file a Petition for Change of Name while you are in the court process of getting a court order (this can take up to three months*).
  • You will be issued a court date between two and three months out.
  • Follow all required steps.
  • Once the court approves, you will receive a court order called a decree that legally changes your name.

* Some courts are busier than others, and it may take longer. Make sure you read the instructions carefully. Some application processes differ slightly based on whether you are changing your name to conform to your gender identity or because of some other special situation.

Read complete details on the California Courts FAQ page.

You can pick up a Request for Change of Name form at the Student Records Office on either campus. Your submission of the form initiates a formal change in the name used for your official records. For current students, the form authorizes the new name to be entered on the permanent record including any subsequent data.

Federal Regulations

In certain circumstances, CCA will need to disclose your legal name to third parties, typically US governmental bodies (e.g., the Free Application for Federal Financial Aid; earnings information communicated to the Internal Revenue Service for tax purposes, such as if you hold a work-study position at the college; federal grand jury or law enforcement subpoenas; and forms related to Visas for international students).

As a student, you are protected by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) that prohibits CCA from sharing your personal information in many situations.

While FERPA outlines a number of exceptions in which your information may be shared, such reasons are mostly for internal uses of the information directly related to your education.

While CCA is allowed to publicly display so-called directory information that includes your name, you also have the right to request CCA withhold such details by completing a Non-Release of (Public/Directory) Information Form.

Public Safety (IDs)

All students must be in possession of a current CCA photo identification card at all times while on campus. A current CCA photo ID card is required to enter the San Francisco campus. For assistance with your student ID (getting a new ID card and obtaining stickers) contact the Public Safety Office Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.

Important: New students may request a free photo ID card (one time only); replacement cards cost $10 each. Chains and lanyards for photo ID cards are obtained at the Public Safety Office on either campus.

Students must obtain a sticker to validate their photo ID card for each semester of enrollment.

Counseling Services

Professional, confidential counseling is available free of charge to all students. Counseling & Psychological Services offers brief individual therapy, crisis intervention, assessments, and referrals to community resources.

CAPS Main Confidential Voicemail 415.551.9267 - Call this number if:

  • You have questions about their services.
  • You want to request a consultation with CAPS staff.
  • You want to be added to the waitlist for services.
  • You need a referral for psychological or psychiatric support outside of CCA.
  • To schedule a One Time Urgent (OTU) Appointment.

(Please note that this confidential voicemail is for non-urgent issues and is monitored ongoing M-F by CAPS Staff. If you leave a message, you will receive a return call within 24-48 hours during the weekday)

For Urgent Immediate Assistance: CCA mental health crisis hotline: 415.551.9344.

See Counseling Services »

Title IX

Sexual Harassment or Gender-Based Harassment is unwelcome, sexual or gender-based verbal or physical conduct that is sufficiently severe, persistent or pervasive to interfere with, deny or limit a person’s ability to participate in or benefit from CCA’s education program and/or activities.

Sexual harassment has many forms. Sexual harassment is harmful regardless of gender of the perpetrator or the victim. (CCA Student Handbook)

Emergency and Off-Campus Reporting Options are listed under section V-A (How Students Should Report Incidents of Sexual Misconduct) of the Student Sexual Misconduct Policy.

Reporting Options

Incident(s) of past sexual misconduct or concerns about future incidents that affect any CCA student should be initially reported as follows:

  • By submitting a CCA Cares form; or
  • By submitting a written complaint by email to one of the below Intake Officers designated for students below:

Title IX Coordinator (for student/staff cases):

Deputy Title IX Coordinator (for student/student cases):

Deputy Title IX Coordinator (for student/faculty cases):

  • Dominick Tracy (, Associate Provost for Education Effectiveness, 510.594.3794

Intake Officers for Students:

  • Abe Leal, Director of Public Safety: 510.594.3781 or by email at
  • Courtney Chung, Associate Director of Academic Advising: 510.594.3728 or by email at
  • Joren Plunkett, Assistant Dean of Conduct & Case Management Students: 510.594.5099 or by email at
  • Noki Seekao, Senior Director of Campus Life: 415.703.9591 or by email at

Anonymous Reporting

Anonymous reports, or reporting without disclosing the reporter’s name, can be made, but anonymous reporting is not the preferred way. Depending on the information received, CCA’s ability to respond to an anonymous report may be limited.

The Title IX Coordinator and/or Deputy Title IX Coordinator(s) will review anonymous reports received by CCA and determine whether an investigation and response is appropriate.

Student & Community Organizations

Trans-a-genda (TAG)
Trans-a-genda is a space for "trans," gender variant, and questioning CCA students to feel safe to share and explore their art and identity. We are committed to strengthening CCA's support for trans students as well as providing regular social events to connect our community.


Pacific Center for Human Growth
Pacific Center for Human Growth fosters and enhances the well-being and self-respect of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer youth, seniors, and adults through the delivery of LGBTQ competent mental health and wellness services, and through the cultivation of a strong community of LGBTQ-proficient mental health-care professionals.

Contact: or 510.548.8283

Transgender Law Center
The San Francisco-based Transgender Law Center can provide legal information and assist with legal name change paperwork. Use its legal information helpline on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 2 to 5 p.m. (PT); or call 415.865.0176 x308.


almost a 101: transgender and queer experience at CCA

A zine produced by CCA students and sponsored by the Office of Student Affairs, almost a 101 is an excellent resource for and by students. It contains information on health care, reporting harassment, community resources, artistic diagrams, and more. The final page is a map of gender neutral bathrooms on CCA’s Oakland campus.

Gender-Inclusive Housing

CCA has a “Gender-Inclusive Housing” policy (described in the Operations & Processes manual), which allows “two or more students to choose to share a multiple-occupancy bedroom, suite, or apartment regardless of students’ legal sex or gender.”