Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

1098-T & W-9S FAQ

What is the 1098-T tax form?

You use the 1098-T or 1098T form when completing your taxes. The information included on the 1098-T will help you determine if you are eligible for the Hope or the Lifetime Learning education credits. Please refer to the IRS website for eligibility requirements for these credits. If your parents claim you on their taxes, they will need the form to complete their taxes.

How do I obtain my current tax form?

We mail current year forms the last week of January, but you can also access them by visiting and follow the instructions below.

  • Enter the Site ID: 11473
  • User Name: Student ID Number
  • Password: Last 4 digits of your SSN (works only if it is the 1st time accessing this website)

*Select the Forgot Password link if the last 4 digits of your SSN do not work. Enter the school site id and the school student id for the username. If there is no email address on file, then you will receive a message stating no information found.

  • If it is the first time accessing the site, you will be prompted to change your password.  Enter your current password (last four digits of your SSN) and then enter a new password.
  • The new password must be at least 8 characters and contain at least one upper case letter, one lower case letter, one numeric character and one special character.  This will be your new password for future logon attempts. The last 4 digits of your SSN will no longer work.

Once you have entered your new password, you will be presented with the online consent form. Read the Online Consent Form for the requirements and specifications. If you agree, click on "Accept Consent". Once you accept, you will NOT be mailed a 1098-T next year and the subsequent years.

Note: Even when an electronic consent is not given, you may still view, download and print your 1098-T form online.

California College of the Arts is required to report on payments received for qualifying tuition and related expenses.

If you are unable to access your 1098-T form online, please email We are open from 8 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday.

Do international students at CCA receive a 1098T form?

The college is not required to provide Form 1098T's to students who are non-immigrant visa holders (F-1, J-1, etc.), as non-immigrant visa holders are ineligible to claim tax credits. A 1098-T/1098T form is only required if you are listed as a DEPENDENT on a US citizens tax return and that US citizen is CLAIMING A TAX CREDIT BASED ON TUITION PAYMENTS.

If you are filing a tax return with a U.S. citizen, a 1098-T will be provided to you upon request. You can request a 1098-T by sending us an email at

How was the amount in Box 1 calculated?

Box 1 includes payments, all financial aid (grants , scholarships and loans), third party tuition payments and outside scholarships that were paid against qualified tuition and related expenses billed during the tax year (January-December).

How was the amount in Box 5 calculated?

The amount in Box 5 includes any scholarships, grants or third party payments that were disbursed to the student’s account during the tax year (January-December).

If requested by CCA, what form do I use to provide or make changes to my SS #, TIN # or my name as it appears on my social security card or Tax Identification Number card?

You will use the W-9S form provided by CCA. It is called the “Request for Student’s Taxpayer Identification Number” to download the W-9S form. For complete explanation and directions, please read the information below.

California College of the Arts must get your correct identifying number to file Form 1098-T, Tuition Statement, with the IRS and to furnish a statement to you. This will be your Social Security number (SSN) or, if you are not eligible to obtain an SSN, your individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). Form 1098-T contains information about payments ( see above ) that paid against qualified tuition and related expenses to help determine whether you, or the person who can claim you as a dependent, may be eligible for the educational tax credit. For more information, see IRS Pub. 970, Tax Benefits for Higher Education.

Under federal law, you are required to provide the requested information.

Part I.

Enter your name and mailing address. The name should match that used by the Social Security Administration or Internal Revenue Service. Taxpayer identification number. Enter your SSN or ITIN. If you do not have an SSN or ITIN, apply for one and fill out and return this form when you receive it.

Part II.

Sign your name in the space provided to confirm the information provided. The California College of the Arts cannot change your records without your signature.

Part III.

Please fill out this part only if you are unwilling or unable to provide a taxpayer identification number. Check the first or second box and sign the statement. By law, California College of the Arts must ask you at least once a year for your taxpayer identification number in order to meet its obligation to file Form 1098-T.

Please upload your completed W-9S form to Workday.

  1. Login to Workday.
  2. Enter Maintain My Student Documents in the search box.
  3. Click Add.
  4. On the left, under Type, please enter W-9S. Please leave the Date Received and Official checkbox as is.
  5. Upload your W-9S form in the Attachments section on the right then click OK.

For security reasons, please DO NOT send your W-9S form, SSN or Taxpayer ID information via email.


Failure to furnish a correct SSN. If you fail to furnish your correct SSN or ITIN to California College of the Arts, the IRS may impose a penalty of $50 unless your failure is due to reasonable cause and not to willful neglect. Misuse of SSNs. If California College of the Arts discloses or uses your SSN in violation of Federal law, California College of the Arts may be subject to civil and criminal penalties.

Privacy Act Notice

Section 6109 of the Internal Revenue Code requires you to give your correct SSN or ITIN to persons who must file information returns with the IRS to report certain information. The IRS uses the numbers for identification purposes and to help verify the accuracy of your tax return. The IRS may also provide this information to the Department of Justice for civil and criminal litigation and to cities and states to carry out their tax laws.