Jewelry/Metal Arts: Hammer Room
Forming, Forging, Raising, Casting
AS OF MONDAY, MARCH 30, 2020, CCA CAMPUSES WILL BE ACCESSIBLE TO STUDENTS, FACULTY, AND STAFF DURING THE FOLLOWING DAYS/HOURS TO RETRIEVE PERSONAL AND WORK ITEMS:
SF Campus: Tuesday and Thursdays 11a-1p
Oakland Campus: Monday and Wednesdays 11a-1p
When you arrive at campus contact Public Safety:
SF patrol: 415-726-2061, Oakland patrol: 510-385-1821
Public Safety will meet you, check your ID, have you sign in, provide necessary access, and wait until you leave to secure the building.
For the safety and security of all, PLEASE BRING YOUR CCA ID TO SHOW THE PUBLIC SAFETY OFFICER!
The Hammer Room
Shaklee Building Rm. Second floor, A27
CCA Shops and Studios remain closed and inaccessible for project work until further notice.
Please contact the Studio Manager with any concerns.
- The California Department of Public Health has extended the statewide stay at home order through May 3. Do not leave home except for essential activities.
- CCA has developed a Portal Page link concerning Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Updates available here.
- CCA has suspended in-person instruction for the remainder of the spring semester. All classes will be taught remotely beginning Monday, March 30, following spring break.
Workplace Guidelines for CCA employees are available here.
About the Jewelry/Metal Arts: Hammer Room
The Hammer Room has an array of stakes, hammers, and forming tools for students to manipulate sheet metal and wire into complex forms, using the ancient practices of raising and forging. The casting equipment and larger torches in this room allow students to transform their wax creations into pieces of silver, bronze, or gold. The hydraulic press easily creates smooth concave or convex forms. Surface development is explored in this room with a sand blaster, polishing machine, and electric etching station.
Specializing in These Materials
- Karat Golds
Tools and Equipment
- Natural gas and acetylene torches
- G-Tec TB 30 Natural Gas Booster
- Natural gas/compressed air annealing torch
- Band saw for wood
- Sanders (wet or dry)
- Hydraulic Press
- Beverly sheer and straight sheer
- Buffing/polishing lathes
- Metal forming/forging hammers, stakes, and anvils
- Casting equipment (kilns, centrifuge, and vacuum caster)
- Bead blaster
- Wax injector
- Electrical Etching Station