In April 2019, eligible CCA staff participating in an election overseen by the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), an agency of the US government, voted in favor of union representation. In May, the NLRB certified this group as a collective bargaining unit of non-supervisory, non-managerial staff to be represented by Service Employees International Union (SEIU) Local 1021 for purposes of collective bargaining negotiations with the college. Negotiations began in October, 2019 and on March 10, 2022, we were able to achieve full tentative agreement on the first staff collective bargaining agreement.
The new CBA went into effect on June 8, 2022 and it covers all staff positions that do not meet the criteria to be exempt from the union. Exemptions include confidential, managerial and supervisory employees. Please reach out to your manager or Human Resources (email@example.com), if you are not sure if your position is covered by the CBA.
Click here for the full staff collective bargaining agreement.
For a general union contact, please email here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updates on Spring/Summer 2023 Effects Bargaining
The college and the union have been engaged in an effects bargaining process as a result the staff reductions that took place in spring 2023. The process specially focuses on Article 8. Effects Bargaining and Article 26. Layoff, Recall & Severance Rights in the CBA. The meetings initially focused on information sharing, but have shifted to reviewing and discussing proposals on the effects of the layoffs. Some of the key negotiation areas include the re-employment and job notification process for staff who have been laid off; opportunities for temporary employment at CCA for laid off staff who are interested in working while seeking permanent employment; additional resources for laid off staff; and a voluntary layoff program.
Below are key updates:
- There have been eight meetings between the college and the union to engage in the bargaining process.
- 13 union staff members received layoff notices but 7 accepted a different position at CCA and remained at the college.
- The college and the union have reached agreement in substance to a number of terms, including the process for re-employment and job notification process for staff who have been laid off, a temporary candidate pool, additional resources for laid off staff, and a voluntary layoff program. These items have been implemented for laid off staff.
- The parties disagree on the form of one versus two side letters to document the effects in the CBA.
- The parties are now working on reviewing a proposal around the potential of increased workloads as a result of the staff reductions.
- Overall, the college eliminated 16% of unit headcount as a result of layoffs and position vacancies, but after 7 union staff accepted positions to remain at CCA, the unit headcount reduction was adjusted to 10%.
We will continue to provide regular updates on this portal page as our meetings continue.
Payroll Deduction Authorization Form in Workday
To enroll or make changes to union-related payroll deduction authorizations, please follow the below instructions.
- Log into Workday and search for your name in the search bar.
- Under your profile name, click on Actions and scroll down to Additional Data.
- Select Edit Effective-Dated Custom Object.
- This will take you to a Complete Questionnaire, where you can select the Staff Union Information process.
- Follow the instructions on this form, which is also noted below.
Union & COPE Political Action Fund Payroll Deduction Authorization Instructions
Use the below instructions to enroll in automatic payroll deductions for your agency fees/union dues and the COPE Political Action Fund contribution (optional). You can also use this form to make changes to your union-related payroll deductions.
1.Select the correct option below based on your employment type at CCA (unranked faculty or staff). NOTE: It is important to make an accurate selection in order to initiate the correct process for your employment type.
2. After you click "submit", you will receive a task in your Workday inbox called "Edit Additional Data". Click the blue button on the task to access the payroll deduction authorization form.
3. On the "Edit Additional Data" screen, you will have the opportunity to review the following authorizations:
- Agency fees/union dues automatic payroll deduction authorization
- COPE Political Action Fund contribution (optional)
4. Select your response for the agency fees/union dues automatic payroll deduction authorization in the first box.
5. Select your response for the COPE Political Action Fund contribution in the second box.
6. Click submit.
You will now have submitted your automatic payroll deduction authorization form and COPE Political Action Fund contribution (optional).
If you need help, reach out to email@example.com.
CCA Staff Union Leadership and Stewards Council
This section provides the contact information for the Chief Steward, Union Stewards, the Chapter President and the SEIU Representative. For a general union contact, please email here: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chapter President: Randy Nakamura, Senior Adjunct Professor - Graduate Design - email@example.com.
Chapter Vice President: Piper Alldredge, Model/Shop Fabrication Studio Manager - firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chief Steward: Brian Harte, Furniture Studio Manager - email@example.com.
SEIU Representative: Letizia Zamudio - Letizia.Zamudio@seiu1021.org.
Union Chapter Leadership
Randy Nakamura, faculty, Chapter president
Piper Alldredge, Vice President of Chapter
Amber Bales, Chapter Secretary
Melissa Leventon, faculty, Deputy Secretary
Piper Alldredge, Treasurer
Elizabeth Travelsight, faculty, COPE
Staff CBA Highlights & Resources
Please refer to this page for a summary of certain key aspects of the CBA, including the below:
- Temporary, Fixed Term & 9.5 Month Positions
- Campus Unification
- Position Postings and Filling of Vacancies
- Hours of Work
- Performance Evaluations & PIP
- Job Descriptions
- Staff Pay Rates
Joint Labor Management Committee (JLMC)
Current JLMC Members:
Maira Lazdins, JLMC Co-Chair
VP of Human Resources
Developer, Web Application
Studio Manager, Furniture
Admissions Administrative Coordinator & Counselor
Director of Academic Administration, Fine Arts
Senior Director, Studio Operations