Budgeting & Savings
Getting your finances in order and building wealth takes planning, and your budget can help you do just that. A budget can help you keep spending in check by tracking your expenses while allowing you to prioritize your savings goals. In this workshop, we discuss different budgeting tools and methods, approaches to saving, and savings tips to get you started.
To access the recording of this workshop on VoiceThread, click here.
To access the recording of this workshop on Panopto, click here.
- CCA Cares – You can submit a form for Basic Needs resources and referrals
- ISAP - Information on Opening a Bank Account in the U.S. and Banking Information
Articles and Videos
- CleverGirl Finance Videos
- The Student’s Guide to Budgeting in College
- How To Create A College Student Budget You’ll Actually Use
- The Three Types of Personal Budgets
- How and Why to Keep a Money Journal
- Budgeting Spreadsheet Template
- How to Budget: Budget Categories & Methods
- 10 Money-Savings Charts To Save More Money
- 11 Money Savings Challenges
- Emergency Fund Calculator
- How to use a HYSA to Save for College
- APY Calculator
- Being Vulnerable to Achieve Your Money Goals
- Finding Strength to Work Through Financial Challenges
- Changing your Perception of Money
- How to Build an Abundance Mindset
- How to Build Generational Wealth
- Clever Girl Finance: Ditch Debt, Save Money and Build Real Wealth by Bola Sokunbi
- Clever Girl Finance: Learn How Investing Works, Grow Your Money by Bola Sokunbi
- Clever Girl Finance: The Side Hustle Guide: Build a Successful Side Hustle and Increase Your Income by Bola Sokunbi
- You Are a Badass at Making Money: Master the Mindset of Wealth
- by Jen Sincero
- Get Good with Money: Ten Simple Steps to Becoming Financially Whole by Tiffany the Budgetnista Aliche
- The Black Girl's Guide to Financial Freedom: Build Wealth, Retire Early, and Live the Life of Your Dreams by Paris Woods
- I Will Teach You to Be Rich by Ramit Sethi
- Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Financial Adulting: Everything You Need to Be a Financially Confident and Conscious Adult by Ashley Feinstein Gerstley
Your aid offer explains the types and amounts of aid a college is offering you, and your expected costs for the year. In this workshop, we discuss what financial aid is and how it works, including understanding a financial aid package, funding opportunities, and resources.
To access the live recording of this workshop, please visit this portal page.
- CCA Financial Aid Office
- How Financial Aid Works
- Types of Financial Aid
- Financial Aid Application Process
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Help Paying for College in CA for Undocumented/Dreamer Students
- Financial Aid for Undocumented/Dreamer Students
- Private Scholarships:
- Private Loans:
Salary & Negotiation
Salary negotiation is an important process when securing a new job, promotion, or undergoing a performance review. Although many companies will negotiate new salaries or engage in salary discussions to retain employees, most employees never try. In this workshop, we discuss preparation tactics, best practices, and additional resources to negotiate your salary with confidence and knowledge.
To access the live recording of this workshop on Panopto, please click here.
- Career Development Office - Go to Handshake to schedule an appointment, or email email@example.com to discuss and practice negotiation strategies.
- CCA Faculty and Program Chairs - See OSS Guide: Questions to Ask Professors for relationship building questions that can help initiate connections and networking with CCA professors and/or program chairs in the field you are interested in.
- 10 Myths About Negotiating Your First Salary
- 4 Tips for Negotiating Your First Salary When You Have Zero Industry Experience
- New Grads, Here’s How to Negotiate Your Salary
- Recent Graduates Are Not Negotiating Salary—Losing Out on
- Crucial Income
- Salary Research:
- Hourly/Salary Conversion Estimator Tool (see 2021-2022 Tax Brackets to adjust as needed on the estimator tool)