If a course section is closed or has reached its maximum capacity, students may have the opportunity to add themselves on to a waitlist for that course section. Not all course sections have a waitlist option. When a student who is currently registered for the course section drops, a seat becomes available and is offered to the first student on the waitlist. Once a seat becomes available in a waitlisted course section, the first student on the waitlist will receive an email notification in their CCA email and in their Workday inbox. The student will have the option to register for that open seat or drop it via the Workday notification. If after 24hrs the student has not enrolled or dropped the class, the registration notification will move on to the next student on the list.
Please keep in mind that being on a waitlist does not guarantee a seat in the class and we recommend that students register for alternative course sections if possible. If alternative course sections are not available, students should work with their Academic Advisor to find a viable solution.
Students who are waitlisted in select course sections that are typically in high demand will be manually prioritized based on need, such as graduation requirements.
Waitlists are active for the duration of the priority registration period for continuing students and the add/drop period at the start of the term. If seats become available for a waitlisted course section in the time between these two registration periods, and the seats are still available once add/drop begins, the first eligible student on the waitlist will receive a Workday notification at the start of the add/drop period with the opportunity to register.
Between the priority registration period for continuing students and the add/drop period at the start of the term, students will be administratively waitlisted if the course section is showing an open status, but has waitlisted students. Exceptional cases will be reviewed by the Student Records Office and Academic Affairs.
Common Issues That Would Prevent Adding to a Waitlist
- A student does not meet the prerequisites for that course.
- A related, required section, such as a discussion section, has no open seats.
- A student has an active hold preventing registration.
- There is a time conflict between the waitlisted course section and one for which the student is already registered.
- Adding the course section would exceed the maximum allowable units for enrollment. The student will need to drop one course prior to registering for the waitlist course through the Workday notification.
If a student is on the waitlist for a course section for which they do not intend to enroll, it is the student’s responsibility to drop the waitlisted class. All enrollment activity must be completed by the end of the add/drop deadline. For important dates and deadlines regarding registration, please see the Academic Calendar.
How do I add to a waitlisted course?
- Please refer to How to Add Yourself to a Waitlisted Course.
Can I waitlist for more than one course section under the same course number?
- Students can waitlist for another course section with the same number if they’re already registered for a section of that course.
I received a registration notification in Workday but cannot add the course?
- If you are attempting to swap a course section with the same course number as the waitlisted course section, you must drop the course section you are currently registered for first in order to register into the waitlisted course section.
- If you need both course sections with the same course number on your schedule, please send a screenshot of your Workday registration notification to email@example.com, and a staff member will assist you.
I still see the waitlisted course on my schedule and add/drop has ended. What should I do?
- Students are responsible for dropping waitlisted courses from their schedule if they’re unable to secure a seat by the end of the add/drop period. Students who are still waitlisted for a course will be removed after the add/drop period has ended.
Will adding myself to the waitlist of a course section put me at full-time enrollment?
- Waitlisted course sections do not contribute to the total number of units you are enrolled in for the term.
Will a waitlisted course section affect my financial aid status?
- A student’s enrollment status is based only on course sections for which they are actually enrolled. Waitlisted course sections do not count toward a student’s enrollment status. We suggest students register for an alternative course section if you need to keep a full-time status for financial aid eligibility.
Do waitlists stay in place with the current students on them through the pause in registration and also stay in place through the Add/Drop period?
- Yes, if a student is on the waitlist for a course section at the end of the priority registration period, they will retain their position when the add/drop period opens up.
Once priority registration closes, do notifications stop going to students if spots become available on a waitlisted course section?
- If a spot opens up after priority registration has ended, students will receive a notification in Workday if they’re next on the list to register when the add/drop period opens.
It’s almost the end of add/drop; I’m still on the waitlist and did not receive a notification. Is this correct?
- If you did not receive a notification, this means that the course is still closed. Students should find an alternative course and drop themselves from the waitlist. Students should reach out to their Academic Advisor in cases where a student can not find an alternative course section.