MArch Fall 2022 Architecture Division - Key Announcements
Welcome to the 2022-2023 academic year here at CCA. Here you will find resources that you may find useful.
- Make sure CCA knows how to reach you: Update your online learning address, home primary email, and timezone.
- Check your CCA email: Read important messages and forward your email if needed.
- Review your registration: Go to View My Courses on workday.cca.edu.
- Find course details: Find your syllabi on the Course Section Pages of your Home Dashboard on portal.cca.edu.
- Access course materials: Login to moodle.cca.edu and learn more about Moodle.
- See Academic Advising, Career Development, International Student Affairs and Programs, and Learning Resources Portal pages for individual appointments, online resources, videos, and programming.
- Bookmark Online Learning: A Student’s Guide & Getting Started on Portal.cca.edu for key tips/info.
CCA continues closely monitoring the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and follows the guidance and recommendations of public health agencies. Our top priority remains the health, safety, and well-being of our CCA community, as well as our neighbors and loved ones at home. Please refer to the COVID–19 Information for the CCA Community resource page for additional information.
The Associate Chair of Graduate Architecture, T. Jason Anderson, alongside Program Manager Tierney Hamilton are offering weekly open drop-in meetings on Zoom with students during the Fall and Spring terms. Students can email firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com for support.
The first day of class is August 31st, 2022. The Add/Drop Period will begin the first week of classes. At that time, students can make adjustments to their schedule by logging in to Workday.CCA.edu. Students can review courses and course syllabi by reviewing the Portal's Course Directory. For advising questions, please contact Program Manager, Tierney Hamilton at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
The CCA Architecture Division will also host the Fall 2022 Studio Lottery for students enrolled in advanced studios and integrated studios. This process is done via a lottery system. Videos and course descriptions will be shared to students via email, along with, Lottery Application Form.
Technology + Equipment
For the upcoming semester, students may be utilizing Moodle to submit assignments and communicate with peers. This application allows for contact with across locations (International). It's also an effective means for the asynchronous delivery of content. To get started with Moodle, review the step-by-step guide on Portal.
SOFTWARE + SPECS
- The one piece of software that you'll need to purchase is Rhino. Rhino is the tool you'll use most frequently, both for 3D modeling and drawing. The educational version is steeply discounted to $139 and you can purchase it here using your cca.edu email credentials. We also recommend beginning the tutorials for Rhino - we'll teach you the software through coursework, but the more familiar you are with it the better.
- The Architecture and Interior Design programs use a core group of program-specific software: Autodesk (AutoCAD, 3DS Max, Revit), Rhino (CAM, Vray), Adobe Creative Cloud, ArcGIS, Lumion, and Enscape 3D. Much of this software is free or heavily discounted for CCA students. Learn more here.
- PC computers or laptops are required for architecture division students. Any MAC (2021-later) w/ M1 Chip will not work for required software. PC specifications are listed, here.
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
Students that cannot meet the program's technology requirements are asked to fill out the Checkup form here. The link takes you to the task in Workday. At the request prompt, select Student Technology Requirement Checkup.
Updated Studio Culture Policy
The Studio culture in the Architecture Division at CCA is an energetic and productive environment where student work is nurtured with both respect and critical attention. Please review our 2022-2023 Studio Culture page for more details.
Co-Curricular Activities + Resources
ARCHITECTURE LECTURE SERIES
The Architecture Division Lecture Series features leading architects, designers, and scholars from across the Bay Area and around the world. Please check our Architecture Lecture Series Events Page for updates.
To mark 100 cumulative years of architecture and interior design education at CCA, we are excited to announce the launch of SCAFFOLD, CCA Architecture’s online content channel. Throughout each semester, SCAFFOLD will highlight our public programs and share stories that demonstrate the value of — and our pride in — the thinking and work that our students, faculty, and alumni, are undertaking. Be sure to return to the site often as it will be an ever-changing space where we can reflect upon and respond to the urgency of this moment and consider the ways in which we can work together to remake our field.
CCA ARCHITECTURE DIVISION STUDENT GROUPS
The CCA Architecture Division hosts multiple student organizations, including: CCA NOMA Chapter, IIDA Committee, Alpha Roh Chi, and Architecture Student Council. To get involved, reach out to:
Architecture Division Student Council – contact: email@example.com
The American Institute of Architecture Students – contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Alpha Rho Chi – contact: email@example.com
International Interior Design Association – contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
National Organization of Minority Architects – contact: email@example.com
ARCHITECTURE DIVISION STAFF + FACULTY CONTACTS