Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Student Insurance Requirement & Eligibility Policy

Effective as of Aug 01, 2022 | Last updated on Feb 08, 2024

Who This Policy Applies To

All students who are registered for courses at full-time status.

Policy Statement

California College of the Arts is committed to ensuring all students have the appropriate resources to uphold their physical health and wellness.

Per CCA policy, all students who are registered for courses at full-time status (12 or more units per term for undergraduate students; 9 or more units per term for graduate students*) are automatically charged for and enrolled in the CCA student insurance plan unless they submit an approved insurance waiver that meets all of CCA's minimum requirements, by the established deadline​ - which is typically aligned with the end of the Add/Drop period.​

* Full-time status is determined by Financial Aid eligibility.

CCA student student insurance plan includes:

  1. One Medical Membership
  2. Medical Coverage
  3. Dental and Vision Coverage

For more information, visit: Student Insurance

Changes in status

Students who initially register for 12 units per term (or 9 units per term for graduate students), but who subsequently reduce their units to fewer than 12 units per term (or fewer than 9 units per term for graduate students) by dropping one or more courses during the add/drop period will lose eligibility for coverage under CCA’s student insurance plan.

Conversely, students who initially register for fewer than 12 units per term (or fewer than 9 units per term for graduate students) and then subsequently increase to 12 or more units per term (or more than 9 units per term for graduate students) before the end of the add/drop period will be required to enroll in CCA’s student student insurance plan or provide proof of alternative coverage.

Alternatively, students who are enrolled in (and have been charged for) the CCA student insurance plan will be able to keep their coverage even if they withdraw from one or more courses after the add/drop period. Eligibility for coverage is determined based on full-time enrollment status on the last day of the add/drop period.

Qualifying event

Students who experience a qualifying event such as losing current health coverage, marriage, or having a baby, please contact for assistance. Students may be eligible for special enrollment periods, allowing to enroll in the CCA student insurance plan outside the open enrollment period for health coverage.

Fees & Coverage Dates

For the current listing of student insurance plan fees and coverage dates please refer to Student Insurance Fees & Eligibility.

Waivers - Using a non-CCA health plan

Current full time students who seek to use a non-CCA health insurance plan (including Medi-Cal and Medicare) are required to officially waive enrollment in the CCA student insurance plan. For more information, visit: Waiving Health Insurance.


Enrollment - Students registered less than full-time

To enroll in the plan if you are registered for a part-time course load (less than 12 units for undergraduate students; less than 9 units per term for graduate students), you must meet one of the criteria below, and receive approval prior to the last day of the Add/Drop period.

  • Part-time students on an approved Reduced Course Load
  • Part-time students during their final semester
  • Students on approved leave of absence (for medical reasons)
    • Exceptions may be granted for a maximum of one semester. 

Please contact to request an exception and find out more about enrolling in the student insurance plan.

Additional Information


Additional coverage for dependents (spouse/domestic partner, children, or both) is available for an additional fee.

Dependent enrollments are handled by our student health insurance broker, JCB Insurance Solutions. To enroll your partner/spouse or child(ren) please visit during the insurance open enrollment period.

Please note:

  • Dependents must be enrolled within 30 days from the date the student is enrolled in the plan, or within 31 days of one of the following qualifying events: marriage, birth*, adoption, or arrival in the United States.
  • For covered students, newborns are automatically insured for injury or sickness from birth until 31 days old. Coverage for a newborn can be continued provided JCB Insurance Solutions ( is notified in writing within 31 days from the date of birth and all additional premiums are paid.
  • All dependent enrollments will require students to upload one of the following documents: Marriage Certificate, Affidavit of Domestic Partnership, or Birth Certificate.

Continued Insurance Coverage for Alumni and Graduating Students

Alumni and graduating students are not eligible to purchase additional coverage after their full-time registration status ends. (Note: fall coverage ends on December 31st; spring/summer coverage ends on July 31st - even for students completing degree requirements in May.)

For post-graduation insurance coverage options please see the information below.

  • Domestic Students
    • California Residents: Students planning to continue residing in California after graduation are encouraged to look into individual plans via Covered California
    • Non-California Residents: Please check the the insurance marketplace or programs similar to “Covered CA” in your state.
  • International Students
    • CCA alumni on post completion OPT are not eligible for health insurance through CCA and will need to obtain health insurance independently while they’re on OPT. The link below provides general resources for international students that have recently graduated or will be graduating soon from CCA.
    • Health insurance on OPT