Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

FAQ: Student Insurance & One Medical Membership

General Questions

Whom do I contact in an emergency situation?

  • Medical or Mental Health Emergencies
    • Call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room
  • Urgent, Non-Emergency Mental Health Concerns
    • Call CCA's mental health crisis hotline number: 415.551-9344 (available 24/7)
  • Campus-Related Emergencies
  • For additional information, please visit Medical Emergencies

Is health insurance coverage mandatory?

  • Yes. Per CCA policy, all degree-seeking students who are registered at 12 or more units per semester (9 units per term for all graduate students) must have comprehensive health insurance coverage through CCA’s student health plan with Aetna or an approved waiver that meets the minimum requirements to waive out of CCA’s student health plan for the academic year.
  • For full-time students who are enrolled in the CCA student health plan. An insurance fee is charged at registration each semester.
  • See Student Health Insurance Fees & Eligibility

What happens if I go from a full-time student to a part-time student or vice versa?

  • Students who initially register for 12 units per term (or 9 units per term for graduate students), but who subsequently reduce their units to fewer than 12 units per term (or fewer than 9 units per term for graduate students) by dropping one or more courses during the add/drop period will lose eligibility for coverage under CCA’s health insurance plan.
  • Conversely, students who initially register for fewer than 12 units per term (or fewer than 9 units per term for graduate students) and then subsequently increase to 12 or more units per term (or more than 9 units per term for graduate students) before the end of the add/drop period will be required to enroll in CCA’s student health insurance plan or provide proof of insurance coverage by completing an insurance waiver.

What happens if I experience a qualifying event like losing current health coverage, marriage, or having a baby?

  • Please contact the Office of the Dean of Students at immediately for assistance.
  • Students may be eligible for special enrollment periods, allowing to enroll in the CCA health insurance plan outside the open enrollment period for health coverage.

How do I obtain my Aetna ID Card?

  • Health (Medical), Dental, and Vision coverage provided by Aetna is included for each student that enrolls in the CCA Student Health Insurance Plan.
  • Aetna ID cards will be available to print on the following dates:
    • Fall: August 1
    • Spring/Summer: January
    • Summer (MFA in Comics students only): June 1
  • Instructions:
    • Medical ID Cards:
      • Visit “Get your ID Card” to access you Aetna Medical ID card.
      • Enter your school issued Student ID number and your Date of Birth in the field, then click “Submit"
      • Select your ID card to display it on the screen
      • Take a screenshot to save it to your phone or select Print your ID Card
    • Dental and Vision ID Cards:
      • Unlike Medical ID cards, Dental and Vision ID cards are only available by first creating an Aetna account at Your Member Website. Be sure to use your Member ID. (Your member ID number should begin with a “W.”)
      • To access you Member ID, visit Get your ID Card.
  • If you have difficulty accessing your ID cards, please contact Aetna member services at 877.480.4161.

If I need to update my address, are there steps I should take in addition to updating my contact information on Workday?

Yes. Your student insurance plan contact information is held outside of CCA's Workday system.

To update your address for student insurance plan purposes, please take the following steps:

  • ​Log in to your account at
  • Once you log in, ​o​n the top right-hand corner choose “My Account​.”
  • Under "My Details" you can “Edit” ​y​our "Contact Info.​"

You will also be asked if you currently have a US address. If you answer no, it will automatically default to the school address.

Please note, it can take up to three weeks for the change to reflect in the insurance company system.

What is the difference between Aetna coverage and the One Medical membership?

  • The Aetna plan is your student health insurance plan.
  • The CCA Student Health Insurance Plan is an EPO Plan (Exclusive Provider Organization) and will no longer cover benefits for services provided by non-preferred providers or facilities (Emergency Room and Ambulance excluded).
  • See Student Health Insurance

  • One Medical provides high-quality, patient-centered primary care services with same-day/next-day appointments and has office locations in the Bay Area and nationwide.
  • A One Medical membership is included as part of the student insurance plan, increasing your access to an expanded network of One Medical doctors, specialists, offices, and more.
  • See One Medical Membership

What terms should I know?

  • Deductible: A deductible is the amount you pay ($100, for example) for covered health care services before your insurance plan starts to pay. Please see second question below.
  • Co-pay: A fixed amount ($20, for example) you pay for a covered health care service after you've paid your deductible.
  • EPO: An EPO Plan (Exclusive Provider Organizations) is a lot like an HMO: They generally don’t cover care outside the plan’s provider network. Members, however, may not need a referral to see a specialist.
  • In network: In network refers to providers or health care facilities that are part of a health plan's network of providers with which it has negotiated a discount.
  • Out-of-network: An out-of-network provider is one which has not contracted with your insurance company for reimbursement at a negotiated rate.
  • Coinsurance: The percentage of costs of a covered health care service you pay (10%, for example) after you've paid your deductible.

What if I’m a minor and need medical care?

  • Appointed Guardians
    • California College of the Arts cannot act in the place of the parent or guardian for minors.
    • If you are under the age of 18, you are required to have your parent/guardian submit a signed statement to California College of the Arts designating the person(s) who will serve as your appointed guardian.
  • Urgent Medical Treatment
    • In the event of a personal emergency, accident, or illness, the State of California will require the signature of a guardian before medical care can be obtained.
    • If you are under the age of 18, you should provide a signed authorization form granting CCA the ability to consent to medical treatment in urgent situations when your parents/guardians cannot be reached.
  • One Medical
    • One Medical‘s policy is that minors may be able to consent to their care without a parent or guardian present depending on the nature of their concern.
    • If a minor arrives without a parent or guardian, the provider will determine if consent is needed.
    • If both the minor and the parent agree to it, parents/guardians may fill out a consent form to remain on file in the minor's account.
  • Please contact for additional information.

How can I get additional answers to general questions regarding the CCA Student Insurance Plan?

Health Insurance Costs

Is there a deductible?

  • Yes. The deductible is $100 for the policy year.
  • The policy year deductible is waived for all of the following eligible health services:
    • In-Network Care for Preventive care and wellness, Pediatric Vision and Dental Care, Physician or Specialist Office Visit Expense, Walk-In Clinic Visit Expense, Consultant Expense, Urgent Care Expense, Acupuncture Expense, Outpatient Mental Health Office Visit Expense, Outpatient Substance Abuse Treatment Office Visit Expense, and Outpatient Prescription Drugs
    • In-Network care for Well newborn nursery care and Outpatient prescription drugs

What is the co-pay amount for an in-network doctor’s office visit?

  • $25 copayment, then the plan pays 100% (of the balance of the negotiated charge) per visit.
  • No policy year deductible applies.

What is the cost for an emergency room (ER) visit?

  • $150 copayment then the plan pays 90% (of the balance of the negotiated charge) per visit.

What is the cost of an in-network urgent care visit?

  • $25 copayment then the plan pays 100% (of the balance of the negotiated charge) per visit .

What is the coverage for in-network labs, x-rays, etc?

  • 90% (of the negotiated charge) per visit.

What happens when California College of the Arts is billed for a student's emergency medical care?

  • In an emergency, California College of the Arts is concerned with getting a student to the hospital as quickly as possible.
  • In the event that the college is billed for medical care a student received, the college reserves the right to directly bill the student or their family for portions of the bill which may have been paid up front by CCA.


Where can I find overview information regarding coverage?

Does the Aetna Student Health Insurance Plan cover pre-existing conditions?

  • Yes. We believe the most important aspect of our plan is the lack of a pre-existing condition clause. We understand that many students may have health conditions, and they deserve quality health insurance regardless of their condition.
  • Pre-existing conditions do not affect the cost of the plan, nor is coverage determined by the severity of the condition. Registered students are covered for all medical conditions while enrolled in the plan.

What transgender health care options are available?

Is Chiropractic coverage included?

  • Yes. Covered at 90% (of the negotiated charge) per visit.

Are Dental and Vision coverage included in the plan?

Is a prescription plan included?

  • Yes. Prescriptions are paid at 100% of the negotiated Charge with the following co-pays:
    • $10 co-pay for Preferred Generic Drugs
    • $40 co-pay for Preferred Brand Drugs
    • $70 co-pay for Non-Preferred Drugs
  • For more details:2023 Aetna Pharmacy Drug Guide

Is coverage offered to part-time students?

To enroll in the plan if you are registered for a part-time course load (less than 12 units for undergraduate students; less than 9 units per term for graduate students), you must meet one of the criteria below, and receive approval prior to the last day of the Add/Drop period.

  • Part-time students on an approved Reduced Course Load
  • Part-time students during their final semester
  • Students on approved leave of absence (for medical reasons)
    • Exceptions may be granted for a maximum of one semester. 

Please contact to request an exception and find out more about enrolling in the student insurance plan.

Are dependents (partners/spouses & children) covered?

  • Additional coverage for dependents (spouse/domestic partner, dependent children up to the age of 26, or both) is available for an additional fee. The student must be enrolled for the same term for which they are enrolling dependents.
  • Dependent enrollments are handled by our student health insurance broker, Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk.
  • To enroll your dependents, please opt into the plan (once you have created your student account) at during the insurance enrollment period.
  • Dependents must be enrolled within 30 days from the date the student is enrolled in the plan, or within 31 days of one of the following qualifying events: marriage, birth*, adoption, or arrival in the United States.
  • For covered students, newborns are automatically insured for injury or sickness from birth until 31 days old. Coverage for a newborn can be continued provided Gallagher Student Health & Special Risk ( is notified in writing within 31 days from the date of birth and all additional premiums are paid.
  • Please contact for further assistance.

Am I covered when I visit another school within the U.S for a summer/semester?

  • Coverage remains in effect for the entire term you have purchased. Aetna is a nationwide insurance carrier and has providers and hospitals throughout the country.

What about coverage while away from CCA and travel assistance?

  • Travel Assistance is included as part of the CCA Student Insurance Plan through On Call International.
  • Emergency Transportation Services and (emergency-only) Medical Assistance Services are available when traveling 100 or more miles from Your Primary Residence or when traveling in a foreign country.
  • Security Assistance Services are available when traveling on a scheduled trip 100 or more miles from your Primary Residence and Your campus of Assignment.
  • On Call International is staffed 24 hours a day, 365 days a year with trained multilingual coordinators and doctors to advise and assist you quickly and professionally in an emergency.
  • On Call International phone numbers:
    • In the U.S. and Canada: 1-866-525-1956 (toll free)
    • From anywhere in the world: 1-603-328-1956 (call collect)
  • For more information, please refer to the following:

Can graduating students or alumni extend their coverage?

Alumni and graduating students are not eligible to purchase additional coverage after their full-time registration status ends. (Note: fall coverage ends on December 31st; spring/summer coverage ends on July 31st - even for students completing degree requirements in May.)

For post-graduation insurance coverage options please see the information below.

  • Domestic Students
    • California Residents: Students planning to continue residing in California after graduation are encouraged to look into individual plans via Covered California
    • Non-California Residents: Please check the the insurance marketplace or programs similar to “Covered CA” in your state.
  • International Students
    • CCA alumni on post completion OPT are not eligible for health insurance through CCA and will need to obtain health insurance independently while they’re on OPT. The link below provides general resources for international students that have recently graduated or will be graduating soon from CCA.
    • Health insurance on OPT

Is personal property coverage included?

  • Personal Property coverage is not part of the CCA Student Insurance Plan.
  • CCA recognizes the importance of ensuring the safety of personal property. While CCA does not cover students' lost, stolen, or damaged property, we strongly urge all students and their families to contact their insurance agents, check their homeowner's policies, and/or to consider purchasing personal property insurance.
  • CCA does not recommend or endorse any individual insurance company. However, please note that Gallagher provides information regarding personal property coverage.
  • For more information, please visit:

Finding & Accessing Providers

Where can I find a list of doctors, hospitals, labs, urgent care centers, etc. that are considered in-network for Aetna?

  • To locate Aetna providers or check if your current healthcare providers are covered under the CCA health insurance plan, please use Aetna’s DocFind tool: Find a doctor, hospital or pharmacy. [Select "OA Elect Choice EPO" insurance type.]
  • You may also call Aetna Student Support line directly to speak with an Aetna representative and they will help you find a doctor or facility that is in network based on your location and zipcode.
  • Call Aetna Student Support at 1-877-480-4161
    Dial "0" to skip to speak with an Aetna representative
    Call before 3:00pm (PST)
  • You may also access One Medical doctors through your Aetna Plan. Please be sure to sign up for the One Medical membership by emailing for the school code for the current academic year.

When should I contact the Aetna 24-Hour/Seven-Days-a-Week Advice Nurse Line?

  • The Advice Nurse Line offers registered nurses (RNs) who offer advice regarding symptoms, including what a member can do to reduce or alleviate such symptoms.
  • Advice nurses are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They can often resolve a minor concern over the phone, which saves a trip to the doctor.
  • To reach the Advice Nurse Line, call: 1-800-556-1555.
  • See Aetna Advice Nurse Line (24 hours)

Medi-Cal (Medicaid)

Can I waive CCA's Student Insurance Plan using Medi-Cal?

  • Yes. However, if you are submitting an insurance waiver with Medi-Cal, it has to be within one of the approved counties below to meet CCA's minimum waiver requirements:
    • Alameda County
    • Contra Costa County
    • Marin County
    • Napa County
    • Santa Clara County
    • Santa Cruz County
    • San Francisco County
    • San Mateo County
    • Solano County
    • Sonoma County
  • If you are on a Medi-Cal health plan which provides access to care throughout the state you should select San Francisco County. Please note that you are still responsible for finding local providers who accept Medi-Cal.
  • For more information - including information on transferring benefits - please visit: Waiving Student Insurance.


Am I eligible for the CCA Student Insurance Plan if I am currently covered by Medicare?

  • Aetna's Medicare Eligibility Notice: You are not eligible to enroll in the student health plan if you have Medicare at the time of enrollment in this student plan. The plan does not provide coverage for people who have Medicare.

How can I waive out of the Student Insurance Plan requirement if I am covered by Medicare?

  • In order to confirm that your Medicare coverage is current and active, you will need to be able to provide:
    • A copy of your Medicare card;
    • Proof of current coverage:
      • Evidence of Coverage document
      • A letter confirming coverage, dated in the last 30 days, which may be obtained directly from Medicare).
  • Please contact for assistance waiving out of the student insurance plan requirement.

U.S. Tax Return Documents

What is a 1095-B Tax Form and how do I get one?

U.S. Tax Form 1095-B provides documentation about individuals who are covered by minimum essential insurance coverage, which is information required by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) if you are filing taxes in the U.S.

  • Students who were enrolled in the CCA Student Insurance Plan should receive 1095-B U.S. tax forms directly from Aetna. They are mailed to the local mailing addresses on record with Aetna.
  • If you did not receive your Form 1095-B, please contact Aetna Student Support to request they reissue the form. They may be reached at 1-877-480-4161.
  • For additional information, please visit: Aetna’s Tax Forms and the ACA.

Important Note:

  • Form 1095-A – Individuals who enroll in health insurance through Covered California or the Federal Marketplace will get this form.
  • Form 1095-B – Individuals who enroll in health insurance through Medi-Cal, Medicare, and other insurance companies or coverage providers (such as CCA’s Student Insurance Plan through Aetna) will receive this form.