Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Access / Disability Services

Last updated on Apr 04, 2022

Access / Disability services are available remotely!

Providing access to a diverse student population is embedded in the philosophy of California College of the Arts.

We recognize disability as an aspect of diversity that is integral to society and to the campus community. Accordingly, CCA's Access/Disability Services collaborate with students, faculty, and staff to advocate for inclusive and sustainable learning environments.

The mission of Access/Disability Services is to ensure that all students can access the learning environment at CCA. Access/Disability Services accomplish this by ensuring students with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities at CCA and by providing all students access to disability support services and viable health insurance coverage to maintain their health.

(Note: Faculty members should review the Faculty Guide to Disability Services to ensure they are in compliance with the recommendations and policies set forth by the Office of the Dean of Students.)

How to access support & services

The Office of the Dean of Students provides services to enrolled students who have a documented permanent or temporary physical, psychological or sensory disability (including pregnancy-related disabilities) that qualifies them for academic accommodations under the law. To obtain services through the Office of the Dean of Students, you will need to do the following:

Emotional Support Animals (ESAs)

Students who are requesting an emotional support animal in the residence hall, should register with the Office of the Dean of Students by following the instructions below, and review CCA's Emotional Support Animals (ESA) policy:

Service Animals

Students who are requesting service animals, should register with the Office of the Dean of Students by following the instructions below and review CCA's Policy on Service Animals:

Who is eligible for services?

Students with a documented permanent or temporary physical, learning or psychological disability that impacts the functioning in two more major areas of life.

The following examples of supports and services are available through the Office of the Dean of Students to eligible students who encounter barriers to full access or participation in the physical, curricular, or informational environments within the college.

  • Note-taking assistance
  • Permission to record lectures
  • Extended time on exams
  • Alternative testing location
  • Physical accommodations for access
  • Access to text on alternative formats
  • Sign Language Interpreting -- ASL Interpreting or Transliteration for Academic and Extracurricular Activities

Note: The following services are available to all students, regardless of disability status.

Responsibilities of Students

  • Provide appropriate documentation of your disability in a timely manner. Ensure that your documentation meets CCA's documentation guidelines
  • You are responsible for your own success in higher education and to meet the academic and institutional standards required of all students
  • Meet with Office of the Dean of Students each semester to request your accommodations (The Office of the Dean of Students will provide you with a notification letter to be presented to instructors.)
  • Please notify your instructors or the Office of the Dean of Students immediately if you encounter barriers or are experiencing difficulty in your classes
  • If you have delayed notification, instructors are neither required to offer make-up exams, nor obligated to provide retroactive accommodations

What Are Your Rights?

  • Equal access to courses, programs, services, activities and facilities at CCA
  • Fair and equitable process
  • Reasonable and appropriate accommodations
  • Information regarding a student's disability is considered confidential and only exchanged on a need-to-know basis
  • If you believe the Assistant Dean of Students for Access and Case Management or Dean of Students has not identified or provided reasonable accommodations or auxiliary aids, you may seek review of these actions by contacting the Vice President of Student Affairs

Inquiries & Appeals

Inquiries and appeals beyond the institutional level may be directed to the following:

Office for Civil Rights
U.S. Department of Education
50 Beale Street, Suite 7200
San Francisco CA 94105
Phone: 415.486.5555
Fax: 415.486.5570
TDD: 877.521.2172

ADA Technical Assistance Program
U.S. Department of Justice
Phone: 800.514.0301
TTY: 800.514.0383

Other Resources

Wondering if you might have a disability? Do you suspect you have a learning disability and want an assessment of your learning style? Want to know more about dyslexia, attention deficit disorder (ADD), or nonverbal learning disorder (NLD)? Schedule a time to speak with a disability staff member at who will be able to refer you to local resources.

Answers to your questions may be found at the following websites:

Other Services

The following free services are available to all current students regardless of their disability status: