Need Help?

Skip to Content

CCA Portal

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Health & Safety

Are all students required to get a COVID-19 vaccine?

Effective for the Fall 2021 term, all students living in housing or attending hybrid in-person instruction are required to be vaccinated by September 1, 2021. Please refer to the email and FAQ that were sent to all students on May 5, 2021.

Are there other required immunizations for Housing?

Please see the College's Immunization information for recommendations and resources.

If I am fully vaccinated prior to arrival to CCA, will I need to quarantine for 10 days when I move in?

Students who live on campus that arrive unvaccinated will be required to quarantine, and to schedule a vaccination as soon as possible.

Students who are fully vaccinated– who have completed both vaccination shots for a two-dose vaccine, or single-dose vaccine, 14+ days prior to move-in day–do not need to quarantine upon arrival.

More information about quarantine.

If I can’t get vaccinated at home, can I get vaccinated in San Francisco?

Yes! For those who cannot be vaccinated where they are now, San Francisco and the Bay Area have well-coordinated vaccine programs, and CCA will assist students with getting a vaccine upon arrival. All residents 16 years of age or older in San Francisco are eligible to receive a vaccination as of May 2021.

If I received a vaccination outside of the United States (AstraZeneca, Sputnik, CoronaVac, Covaxin, or other) will that be accepted by CCA?

Please refer to the Vaccine FAQ for the latest information.

Will my roommate be vaccinated? Can I indicate that as a requirement on the Housing Application?

All students will either be vaccinated, in the process of being vaccinated, or meet an exemption standard. Roommates will not be determined or selected based on vaccination status.

Will there be meal delivery during my quarantine period?

Yes. There will be lunch and dinner meal delivery during the quarantine period, for which you may use your meal plan dollars.

If I am fully vaccinated, may I still move in earlier than the posted dates of August 27 and 28?

No. We will only be housing the students who need to receive a vaccination upon arrival and/or quarantine, and summer residents, prior to August 27. This is to ensure the health and safety of our community. Thank you for your cooperation.

May I quarantine off campus in a hotel with my parents prior to moving in, to avoid quarantining again when I move in?

If you are not fully vaccinated by your move-in date, you are required to quarantine again at CCA upon move in.

Do I have to have a negative COVID-19 test before I travel?

At this time the CDC requires that all travelers entering the U.S. by air must provide a negative COVID test taken within 72 hours of flying. The CDC guideline applies to both vaccinated and unvaccinated travelers. You can learn more here.

I need to get vaccinated in the U.S. upon arrival, and I am unsure where to start. What are my next steps?

If you plan to live in the dorms at CCA and are planning to get vaccinated after traveling to the U.S. with the Moderna or Pfizer 2-dose vaccines, or Johnson & Johnson 1-dose vaccine: Please plan your travels to arrive for the August 19 move-in date. You will need to quarantine for 7 days; however, you will be allowed to leave your room to go get vaccinated, and to be tested. The Dean of Students will provide you with an extension to the September 1 vaccination deadline so please email

While in quarantine staff will be available to help you get set up with a vaccination appointment and to guide you with directions on how to get to the vaccination site safely and affordably.

Are the quarantine and PCR test mandatory for students who have already been vaccinated?

Although vaccinations protect individuals from contracting the virus and becoming severely ill, and incubation period for COVID-19 is 2-14 days after potential exposure, our current policy states a PCR test advanced upload prior to moving into the residential halls. We will update this policy as we receive updated guidance from the SF Department of Health.

When traveling from out of state, would students take a Covid-19 test in their home state or when they get to San Francisco?

Current policy states a PCR test advanced upload prior to moving into the residential halls. You will be able to take a test in your home state about one week prior to move-in weekend.

If I am in 7-day quarantine, and I receive a negative test result am I allowed to end my quarantine period?

No, based on the current guidelines, the quarantine period was shortened from 10 to 7 days, but is still pending a negative test result on day 4-5. Therefore, all quarantined residents will need to finish the 7-day quarantine period.

I already received a vaccine, what do I do now?

If you have already received or are able to receive a COVID-19 vaccine in the U.S. or your home country, please update your vaccination status by logging into Workday and following these instructions. CCA will accept all vaccines approved by your home countries.

How do I know if I need to quarantine upon arrival?

If you are living in a CCA residence hall and have been or will be fully vaccinated (2 weeks since your last injection) prior to August 27, you do not need to quarantine. See move in information here.

If I have 1 injection of the vaccine, will I be able to break quarantine to attend in person CCA activities like orientation and my classes on September 1?

If you are unvaccinated and given an extension to the September 1 vaccination deadline by the Dean of Students, as long as you receive at least 1 injection of the vaccine prior to August 27, you will be allowed to participate in person with classes and activities as long as you are following all health guidelines put in place by the college at that time.

Unvaccinated residential students will move into the dorms on August 19 and will be released from quarantine 7 days later as long as they test negative for COVID-19 after the 4th or 5th day. Residential Education will be assisting students in getting tested during the 7-day quarantine so that they will be eligible to end the 7-day quarantine upon receiving a negative test result.


Does CCA have family housing for married or parenting students?

At this time, the college does not have on campus family housing. If you are new to the area and seeking resources for off campus family housing please email us for tips.

Is there a twin size mattress on beds in the room? How is it cleaned before students move in?

All beds in Founders Hall and Blattner Hall are Twin XL. Mattresses are non-absorbent and antimicrobial; they are made for student housing. All units, furniture and appliances are thoroughly sanitized after residents move out.

Is laundry paid for with the funds on the CCA One Card? Could you use your meal plan to also pay for laundry or do you need to use separate funds?

Laundry facilities in Founders Hall use an app called Wash that residents may download on their phone or tablet for payment. Students upload funds to their account via the app using a debit or credit card. Meal plan dollars cannot be used for laundry.

If you leave in May when school is out, is there space to store your belongings for when you return in August?

CCA does not provide storage for students’ belongings over the summer, but there are many storage facilities located in San Francisco and the surrounding areas. If items are left behind in your room then fee's and fines will be billed to the occupant(s) per day. We can not store nor keep items left behind by occupants.

Is there access to a common kitchen for students that like to cook?

Founders Hall: Common areas are not permitted for cooking but are equipped to heat ready made meals and snacks at the students’ convenience. All suites and private studios on the fifth floor have kitchenettes within the unit (more info). Note, Graduate and continuing students have priority for these units.

Blattner Hall: Every unit has a kitchen within the unit (more info), which is shared with your roommates only.

Are microwaves allowed in the units?

See list of permitted and not permitted cooking appliances here.

Founders Hall: Floors 1-4 microwaves are not allowed within the unit. Residents have microwave access in the common area (on each floor). 5th Floor Residents have kitchenettes (with microwave included).

Blattner Hall: All units have microwave convection oven in the kitchen.

As a coffee drinker who makes their coffee, would I be able to have an electric kettle in the dorm?

Yes, electric kettles and drip coffee makers are allowed in all rooms. See the full list of cooking appliances that are allowed here.

What small appliances are not allowed in the dorms?

Do not plan to bring any heat producing appliances such as space heaters, halogen lamps, hot plates, toaster ovens. See the full list of recommended and prohibited items here.

Are mini rice cookers allowed?

Rice cookers are only allowed in rooms with kitchenettes. See the full list of cooking appliances that are allowed here.

Assignments and Roommates

Are only double rooms available to first year students?

The most common room type available to first and second year students is the Double studio; however there are several single room options available for students to choose from.

Are roommates required for first year students? Is it possible to just get a single room without a roommate?

The most common room type in Founders Hall is the Double Studio, it is likely first year students will have a roommate.

Can transfer students live in Founders Hall or is it only for first year students?

Transfer students may also live in Founders Hall.

Are students 24 and older required to live in Blattner Hall?

No, transfer students may also request to live in Founders Hall. Founders Hall 5th floor community is designed for upper division, graduate and older students. Options are all single accommodations with kitchenettes. These are popular though so it is advised to apply early.

Are there available residences for all first year students from abroad?

Yes, CCA has enough housing available for all students who are required to live on campus as well as students who are not required to, but would like to. We encourage all students to apply as early as possible for priority for their preferred room type.

I am a transfer student for fall 2021. In June I will have just turned 23 years old. Am I required to live on campus?

No, the birth date cut off is the start of the term.

What are some common things students should think about when trying to fill out roommate preferences?

We recommend you answer the questions as truthfully and honest to your preferences as possible.

Application and Housing License Agreements

As a parent I would like to understand more regarding the choice of 9 month vs 12 month lease plan. What does that mean?

The 9 month lease is for the academic year only, which includes Fall and Spring semesters. The 12 month year-round option includes Summer semester as well. Billing is still by term, but you are agreeing to live there for all 11.5 months through the following year, at a discounted rate.

I would like to know more about the 12 month lease. I am an older transfer student and I think most are required to live in Blattner Hall, but it seems like the 12 month lease is only available for Founders Hall. Where would I be assigned in this case?

12 month leases are available for Founders Hall only. If you live in Blattner Hall for the Academic Year, you will also be able to sign a separate summer housing agreement to make sure you have housing year round!

If I sign up for a 12 month lease, do you have to change dorms after 12 months?

Not necessarily, but most times students will have to change rooms at some point over the course of the 12 month lease.

If I were to sign up for a 9 month lease then decide to stay for the summer, would that be possible to switch to a 12 month lease?

Yes, you can. You can decide to stay for summer later in the year, and sign a summer contract. However, there is a price discount for year-round contracts that is only offered for students who sign the contract at the beginning of the year.

Are students allowed to stay in CCA housing if they have an internship over the summer? Even if they are not taking summer classes?

Yes, as long as you are enrolled as a student at CCA for the 2021 Fall semester you would be allowed to live in CCA Housing.


Am I required to live on campus?

Please refer to the Live on Residency Policy. If you are still unsure, please contact us.

I've selected all online courses for Fall 2021, am I still required to live in housing?

All incoming first year and transfer students, and second year students who plan to have any presence on campus in Fall 2021, will be required to live on campus starting Fall 2021 per the Live on Residency policy.

There are allowable exemptions to the process, if one applies to you please ensure you have an exemption on file by the deadline stated on the policy.

If you are unable to make it to San Francisco due to VISA appointment or other COVID-19 related issues, and you have registered in 100% online courses, you are still required to complete your 2021-2022 Required Housing Application information. We will make note that you are not arriving to move into campus housing until Spring 2022. Please contact us if this is your situation.

Are pets allowed in the dorms? What about emotional support animals?

CCA housing does not allow pets in the residence halls. CCA provides reasonable accommodations for Service Animals on campus and for Emotional Support Animals only in the college’s residence halls. To request approval for a service animal or an emotional support animal, the student must complete an intake and documentation process with the Office of Access and Disability Services. Please contact with questions.

What is the policy on outside guests? Has that changed during the pandemic?

As the current health order stands (4/21/21), no guests are allowed in Founders Hall. However, as health restrictions ease, we expect guests to be allowed after checking in with the front desk of the building. Please check our Housing COVID protocols for the latest information.

Is there a curfew for residents?

No, but if you are ever locked out of the building at night - the RA on duty can support you. Public Safety is also available at night for walking escorts within 30 minutes of CCA’s campus.

Move In

Can two or more people accompany you during move-in day?

Please refer to CCA move-in process for the latest information.

What if a student travels alone? In that case would there be someone to help them move in?

Our staff are unable to support the physical moving of your belongings. Although we do provide large moving carts so you do not have to carry all of your belongings by hand.

If my child arrived for move-in late, is there any advance appointment and help?

Move-in appointments will be sent out after room assignments have been announced. Please remember to read your CCA email for any updates and notifications regarding move-in and appointments, and check the move in process page.

Mail and Packages

Can I ship my belongings before I move-in?

No. Please do not ship anything prior to your arrival. Packages shipped prior to move in date will be returned to sender. Packages may be accepted anytime after your move in date. More information.

How do I get mail and packages?

Blattner and Founders Hall both have a smart package system called, "Luxer One. "It charges $1 per delivery, so we suggest bulking items together in fewer shipments when sending packages or goods. The Luxer One system sends a unique access code to the resident for pick up.

Residential Advisors (RAs)

I assume freshmen can't, but can sophomores become RAs?

For the RA positions: you may apply after living in the residential hall for one semester, and go through the application process. There are requirements such as 2.5 GPA, that are shared during the application process period. Generally, the position begins mid August and ends 2nd week of May for the academic year. We also have Summer RA positions.

Do RAs receive reduced housing costs?

Yes, RAs receive a housing allowance to help with the cost of housing during their time as an RA for the academic year, as part of their compensation. This is dependent on the period of their contract (i.e. Summer vs Academic Year) and their building placement. More specific information is shared with current students when the application process opens up.

About how many students do you expect to have living on campus?

CCA can house over 700 residents for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Can students get jobs in Housing and Dining?

Yes! It’s through our Work Study Program. You can read more about it here. And once you are enrolled you can view the internal CCA job board to see the types of jobs. While our food service and property management teams do not have Work study jobs, they do hire for student jobs throughout the Academic Year and Summer.