New Staff Hire Guide
New Staff Hire Guide
Welcome to CCA - we're so glad you're here! This guide provides recent hires with resources and milestones that may be helpful to review and follow. You can jump to different sections below. Questions? Please email email@example.com.
Jump to a section...
- Get Started with CCA Systems
- COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
- Set Up Direct Deposit in Workday and Familiarize Yourself with CCA Pay Dates
- Make Your Benefits Elections
- Add Introductory Period Goals in Workday
- Complete Your CCA Required Trainings
- Check Out Upcoming Skillstudio Sessions
- Activate Your Linkedin Learning Membership
- Sign Up for the New Hire Ambassador Program
- Check Out Food Options On and Near Campus!
- Go On a Campus Tour
Before You Start
Step 1: Accepting your offer letter in your Workday Candidate Home
Congratulations! Your first step on your road to CCA is to accept your offer letter and acknowledge your job description in your Workday Candidate Home (where you submitted your application). Click here and look for the sign in button on the far right of the page. If you’ve forgotten your password, please select the “forgot your password?” option.
Step 2: Keep an eye out for an email sent to your personal email address from HR regarding new hire orientation (and if you’re a union eligible employee, you’ll also receive an invitation to union orientation as well). The email will also contain important information about benefits (but please do not select your benefits in Workday until after orientation to learn about options), employment eligibility verification, CCA ID pickup and COVID-19 vaccine verification. Although you may have access to your CCA email prior to your start date, you should not be viewing your CCA email inbox or doing any work prior to your start date.
First Days - Set Yourself Up for Success
We’re so excited that you’re here! We want to support your success as you get to know your supervisor, team, campus, and goals.
Step 1: Attend Your New Hire Orientation Session(s)
New hire orientation is typically held on Mondays at 1pm on Zoom. For union eligible employees, union orientation is right after new hire orientation at 2:30pm. Topics covered in new hire orientation include CCA’s history, mission and values, who’s who at CCA, systems and technology, policies & procedures and benefits. Technology Services will also connect with you about your computer and provide a New Staff Technology Orientation.
Step 2: Complete the I-9 Employment Verification Process
Click here for more information. You must complete and submit your I-9 documents within 3 days of your start date (and should be done on your 1st or 2nd day). This needs to be an in person verification. Please come to the front desk of 80 Carolina between 9am - 3pm (closed 12pm - 1pm for lunch) on Monday or Wednesday to show your acceptable I-9 documents and complete the process. If you are a remote employee living outside of the San Francisco Bay Area, you will need to take your acceptable I-9 documents to be verified by a notary. For more information about this process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Familiarize and Get Things Done on Day 1
You'll collaborate closely with your supervisor in the coming days. They'll answer all questions related to your department, including how the work in your area aligns with the goals of CCA in support of our mission. Expect to meet colleagues, review your division's strategic plan, and discuss the specific procedures and expectations of your role. Take time to familiarize yourself with CCA values and begin to consider your benefits needs since you'll be making your benefits elections within the first 30 days of your hire date.
Get Started with CCA Systems
CCA is largely powered by Google and Workday. If you're already familiar with apps such as Google Mail and Google Calendar, you'll be ready to communicate with confidence in your first days.
Our system of record is Workday and we also use Workday Student, Workday Financials and Workday Learning. You’ll utilize Workday for many tasks, including but not limited to updating employee data, hiring new staff and students, requesting time off, performance management, timesheets, purchasing/invoices and budgets.
Workday has a learning curve, so don’t be discouraged; it takes a minute to get used to the system. CCA offers Workday Help Guides, including how-to videos in Workday Learning, a Knowledge Base, and HR and Helpdesk support. It’s also helpful to familiarize yourself with the CCA Portal as a whole and browse the Thriving, Learning, Teaching, Working, Essentials and Campus Planning sections at the top of the page. If you’re working on campus, you’ll want to look at the Shared On Campus Workspaces and review how to reserve space, such as a conference room through Google calendar.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
All staff, faculty, and students who are on campus must be fully vaccinated, including the booster vaccine (if eligible). If needed, please reach out to email@example.com to review an exemption request.
Update your vaccination status in Workday
- Log into Workday and search for your name in the search bar to pull up your employee profile.
- Click on Personal and select the Vaccinations tab. Click Add.
- Enter your vaccination details. Please be sure to upload an image of your vaccination record and select COVID-19 Documents (Staff/Faculty) as the Category.
- Click Submit. Your submission will be routed to HR for review.
Set Up Direct Deposit in Workday and Familiarize Yourself with CCA Pay Dates
Click here for instructions on how to set up direct deposit in Workday. Exempt employees are paid on the 15th & last day of month; non-exempt employees are paid hourly on the 10th and 26th of the month. Timesheets are due at the end of each pay period. Please coordinate with your manager on approvals. Check out the Benefits & Pay worklet in Workday, which includes helpful information such as the current benefit guide and payroll calendar. To find this worklet, click on the Menu>Benefits & Pay worklet.
Make Your Benefits Elections
Once you've reviewed your employee benefits options, you must elect your CCA benefits within 30 days of your hire date in Workday. This is your only window in which to choose certain benefits unless you experience a qualifying life event, such as a marriage, birth, or adoption.
If you have questions about your benefits, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Benefits Helpline at 415-703-9550, option 1.
Add Introductory Period Goals in Workday
A task will automatically be sent to you 30 days after you have started, in order for you to add goals in Workday. Please meet with your manager to discuss your goals for the first 6 months, then add them using the "My Goals" button in the Add Introductory Period Goals Workday task. Click here for CCA’s Goal Setting Guide.
Complete Your CCA Required Trainings
At CCA, we are committed to providing our employees with a safe, productive and inclusive work environment. To that end, as well as to meet state requirements, we require that all employees take the following trainings within 30 days of their hire:
- DiversityEdu (around 2 hours) - please note that if you exit out of the course player during the three primary course modules, your progress will resume upon relaunching the course player. However, once you begin the Conclusion module, please do not exit out of the course player until you are finished with the course.
- Building Supportive Communities: Clery Act & Title IX (around 40 minutes)
- FERPA (around 30 minutes)
- Preventing Harassment & Discrimination (1 hour for non-supervisors or 2 hours for supervisors - this is required every 2 years)
- Cybersecurity at CCA (11 minutes)
- Introduction to Workday (33 minutes)
Check Out Upcoming Skillstudio Sessions
CCA Skillstudio is our staff professional development program. We offer a variety of trainings and workshops throughout the year that address the following themes: refining your technical skills with CCA platforms, creative reinvention for processes & procedures, back to basics and supporting a culture of care. Check out our upcoming synchronous sessions in the weekly HR newsletter (sent on Mondays) and also on the CCA Skillstudio Portal page.
Consider Reviewing Other Helpful CCA Trainings
- Business Office Process Training 101 (CCA Skillstudio)
- CCA Brand Training (CCA Skillstudio)
- Gmail and Drive Training (CCA Skillstudio)
- Annual Student Supervisor Training (required if you will be hiring work study students)
Activate Your Linkedin Learning Membership
Human Resources (as a part of CCA Skillstudio) is excited to offer LinkedIn Learning to all permanent staff members to support professional development growth! Check out our LinkedIn Learning portal page for more information.
Sign Up for the New Hire Ambassador Program
- What is a new hire ambassador? A new employee’s onboarding is greatly enhanced by assigning an office new hire ambassador, a fellow employee (other than the manager) who provides advice and guidance on the different aspects of working at CCA. While primarily responsible for offering advice and guidance regarding the day-to-day aspects of working at CCA, the new hire ambassador may also offer encouragement and knowledge resources, as they help introduce the new employee to CCA culture.
- What is the CCA new hire ambassador program? The CCA new hire ambassador program matches new employees with employees who have been with the college for some time (typically at least 1 year), for a period of at least three months.
I’m in! What are the next steps and how do I sign up? Please click here to indicate your interest in being matched with an ambassador. Please also click here to review the program information and guidelines.
Check Out Food Options On and Near Campus!
Our Staff Advisory Committee (SAC) members created a comprehensive list of food options, grocery stores, and coffee shops near campus. Please click here to access the list, as well as a map.
Go On a Campus Tour
We're excited to offer new staff monthly tours of the CCA campus.
- When is it? This one hour tour is at 10am every third Wednesday of the month.
- What will we cover? We'll tour the following locations: 80 Carolina, Makers Cafe, Public Safety/Hooper Street, Main Building and the Mailroom. Along the way, we'll talk about locations for lunch, coffee, and CCA swag. We hope by offering these new hire tours it will allow you to see the CCA community in action and begin to feel a part of it!
- Where will we meet? We'll meet you at the first floor lobby of the 80 Carolina building.
- How do I sign up? If you're interested in joining, please click here to sign up for an upcoming or future tour. Once you sign up, you'll receive a calendar invite that confirms your attendance.
First Months - Self-Care
Consider planning your time off. We value the hard work that you and we want you to take care of yourself! CCA offers generous vacation (10 days in year 1; 15 days in years 2-4; 20 days in year 5) and sick time (12 days a year) as well as 21 holidays per year, including 2 weeks paid time off for winter break. Please coordinate with your manager on planning your time off.
Employee Assistance Program Resources
We recognize that wellness includes a person’s physical, emotional, social, spiritual and financial health. To better provide resources that address these topics, we expanded our EAP benefit to provide a digitally enabled EAP platform through Claremont/Uprise Health which includes skills training on a variety of topics. Additionally, you will have up to 8 sessions with a wellness coach that you can book online through this platform (this is in addition to 8 counseling sessions per issue per year). This benefit continues to be paid 100% by CCA and these services are available at no cost to you and are 100% confidential. Please click here for more information and check out the other resources related to wellness on this page.
Workplace Ergonomics Tips
Ergonomics is the process of designing or arranging workplaces, products and systems so that they fit the people who use them. Optimizing your office workstation setup enhances performance and your comfort in the workplace. Please click here for resources and more information.
The Staff Advisory Committee (SAC) is an HR-sponsored employee-led committee that supports CCA staff culture through three focused areas: Staff Appreciation, Community Engagement, and Staff Advocacy. Joining SAC is a great way to share your ideas, take action and help amplify your voice. Click here for more information.
The Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging (DEIB) Community Forum - - is composed of key faculty, staff, and students who are advocates for human rights and social justice, and who work together to guide the college's fulfillment of its diversity, equity, inclusion, & belonging mission and goals. Click here for more information.
The Staff of Color Alliance (SoCA) is a group whose goal is to create a shared space for staff of color to find community. Please complete this form if you are interested in joining the group.
Develop Introductory Period Goals in Workday
Please work with your manager to develop goals for your introductory period (first 6 months) at CCA. Click here for CCA’s goal setting guide for more information.